• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why we MUST ditch our lazy attitude to finding work through agents and agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody Tories. After supporting them for years in 2 months they have killed any chance of me supporting them again. As much as every answer to this seems to be rate rise, that isn't going to happen. I can't imagine any client being willing to cover this, and the divided tax and whatever other bollocks they want to throw at us.

Comment

Just floating an idea out, but operating as an associate, could this be the solution. Expenses from consultancy office covered, and if operating on a call off basis arguably outside for IR35?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Considering I contract at a government department that is full of contracts due to not being able to recruit permies for the salary they are willing to pay, I would like to see what the plan is for staffing when 70% of the contractors leave if they lose there expense claims. Oh that's right, there will be a skills shortage so up goes the bob quota again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
          Considering I contract at a government department that is full of contracts due to not being able to recruit permies for the salary they are willing to pay, I would like to see what the plan is for staffing when 70% of the contractors leave if they lose there expense claims. Oh that's right, there will be a skills shortage so up goes the bob quota again.
          Yep, this is some very wealthy Indian outsourcers courting the Tories with promises of big party donations, in return for destroying IT contracting in the UK.

Comment

Why don't we just pay the appropriate and relevant taxes

Not quite into the contractor thing yet
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

I wonder what the Pimps would make of this, especially as Reed have just had their appeal refused for £158m in tax on T&S for their temps.

Combine that with contractors making an effort to start going direct and it could well have an effect on their business.

We could start seeing them working on a fixed fee baisis as they do with permie recruits, rather than a %tge of day rate, with the contracts for work being direct between client and contractor.
              Last edited by DaveB; 12 August 2015, 14:58.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Yep, this is some very wealthy Indian outsourcers courting the Tories with promises of big party donations, in return for destroying IT contracting in the UK.
                Correct, but then I would fault and moan at our own George and Tories, not the Indians!!!!!!

George/tories take money (brown envelop as its called), and we blame the Indians??

You seem to have some very specific issue with Indians , looking at most of your threads!!!

Listen, instead of focussing your issues at immigrants and Indians, etc. we need to spend the energy to fight our case with our own govt. (via IPSe, and other forums et al.)
                If we just simply keep blaming indians, foreigners, etc for all these changes and every other problem, our govt will slip through all legislations in the meanwhile, like the ones we are affected by, while they direct all their blame on foreigners too!

For the govt., it is clear - Divide and rule wins, I suppose!
                Last edited by Milkyway; 12 August 2015, 15:26.

Comment

I wonder if George is aware what his banker chums will make of losing vast chunks of contingent workers from The City and CW?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Well that ****s us over royally doesn't it.

As much as I'd like to work direct, clients don't exactly advertise themselves as looking for contractors.

Even the place I'm working now which has a huge active recruitment program did not advertise on its own careers.massivecorporation.com any contractor positions prior to me applying.

Maybe recruiter model will change to a finders fee. Pretty sure you're not under SDC if the recruiter places you and collects a flat £xxx fee instead of billing etc. via them.

Or even if they simply introduce you and the contractor bills the client and the recruiter bills the client too for some fee.

Basically cut out the recruiter handling timesheets etc.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
                      Well that ****s us over royally doesn't it.

As much as I'd like to work direct, clients don't exactly advertise themselves as looking for contractors.

Even the place I'm working now which has a huge active recruitment program did not advertise on its own careers.massivecorporation.com any contractor positions prior to me applying.

Maybe recruiter model will change to a finders fee. Pretty sure you're not under SDC if the recruiter places you and collects a flat £xxx fee instead of billing etc. via them.

Or even if they simply introduce you and the contractor bills the client and the recruiter bills the client too for some fee.

Basically cut out the recruiter handling timesheets etc.
                      Wonderful. Perhaps, that is exactly what a recruitment agency would their change their contractor supply model to.

This is legitimate business model, and I would hope the govt / HMG / HMRC would not block this one too.
                      This sounds like there is some light at the end of the tunnel, during this painful time of uncertainty as to what will happen if agencies will move away from supplying contractors!! (given this new article 44 etc.) change.

Comment

Working...
                      X