• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How would you invest £1m?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    33% stocks, 33% bonds and 33% property.

...as they say
    £10K left for hookers I see.

Comment

Swing Trading. Something I've fancied researching and practicing but never got around to it.

A £1m pot would give you £10k per trade (max 1% per trade of total pot), so even if you sell at 3% higher than you bought, that's £300 -commission. i.e. a days contracting.

I love the idea of emotionless, automated trading; You get up in the morning, look at your 8 monitor rig where some scripts that ran overnight advise you on say 5 symbols to invest in (you don't care what they are, all you're bothered about is the patterns they are showing could show start of an up or possibly down trend, as advised by your script) then you go about your day and don't worry about it. You set rules to automatically sell if they fall or rise by a certain amount so there's no emotions like fear or greed that would kick in to affect decision making.

Like I say, it's a dream I've not fully researched but I like the idea a lot.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I'd open a good coffee shop in Cornwall, along with investing in some other areas of personal interest down there.

I'd get bored senseless not working and providing good coffee to people who want it for half the year would sort that out. Decent, fresh beans, a good grinder and top of the line coffee machine coupled with local organic milk and other local goodies (e.g. sausage, egg and bacon from local farms). Proper job. Early start to get the breakfast and lunch crew, close up around 3pm and head down to the beach for a few hours.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          A lot of threads going around about warchests, BTL etc. but if you wanted a relatively easy life without having to worry about money or work, where would you invest £1m to generate as much income as possible, without taking excessive risk?

Annual ROI after expenses should be in the region of 10%, so as to give you a decent monthly income before tax.

I've chosen £1m because seriously, anything less would just not be worth it unless you take on excessive risk to generate returns.
          As it happens, I now have a million. I set myself a goal and said when i got to it, I'd quit. So I hit it, and didn't quit. I'm not getting anywhere near the 10% you talk off, so if you can show me where I can get that I'd appreciate it.

I've upped my target to 1.23 million as I thought it would be nice to have an extra 230k to play with.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            As it happens, I now have a million. I set myself a goal and said when i got to it, I'd quit. So I hit it, and didn't quit. I'm not getting anywhere near the 10% you talk off, so if you can show me where I can get that I'd appreciate it.

I've upped my target to 1.23 million as I thought it would be nice to have an extra 230k to play with.

Comment

As it happens, I now have a million.
              The discussion is not about the number of lice on your pubic hair.

I set myself a goal and said when i got to it, I'd quit. So I hit it, and didn't quit.
              Yes we are not talking about shagging hookers, as I said earlier.

Comment

Ex-MrsBP3.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Ex-MrsBP3.
                  Is that model number? Can you upgrade?

Comment

The 10% is meant to be challenging and is a figure I chose because I am already achieving this from a property portfolio, which is part repayment and part interest-only. I need to ramp my investments up to aforementioned figures so that I have a better residual monthly income.

The £1m is a figure that at some point needs to be attainable and is large enough from which is invest and speculate (a little) to achieve the desired return.

I don't like the idea of stocks because dividend returns are paltry and I don't want to speculate stock prices.

A business would be great but I don't want anything that needs daily 'hands-on' effort.

It's a bit like asking, if you had £1m and could choose to retire (or choose to live your life free), how would you do it? Would you be happy putting it in the bank and have them pay you 1% interest while inflation whittles the worth of your capital away? Or would you use your balls and your creativity to push for the more rewarding ROI?
                    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 20 August 2015, 13:18.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      The 10% is meant to be challenging and is a figure I chose because I am already achieving this from a property portfolio, which is part repayment and part interest-only. I need to ramp my investments up to aforementioned figures so that I have a better residual monthly income.

The £1m is a figure that at some point needs to be attainable and is large enough from which is invest and speculate (a little) to achieve the desired return.

I don't like the idea of stocks because dividend returns are paltry and I don't want to speculate stock prices.

A business would be great but I don't want anything that needs daily 'hands-on' effort.
                      You don't want much do you?

Comment

Working...
                      X