• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Chain Stress

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    The second bit? Who are you trying to kid?
    It has worked considerably in our favour, and that of several friends, each time we have done it. The principle is that there is little incentive for an EA (and the bods working for an EA who only get around 5% of the 1 - 1.5% fee the EA company earns) to make any more effort to sell your home and get the best price possible than just selling whatever they can with the least amount of effort, especially if your property is not a higher value property in the market area.

By, say, taking the average suggested selling price-point for your home of a number of EAs in the area, and then offering them their basic % up to that price-point, then saying, for example, 5% (inc VAT) for anything over that price-point up to a higher price point and then 10% (inc VAT) for anything over that higher price-point you make it much more interesting and worthwhile for the EA to do a lot more to maximise the sale price achieved. They can get more money from selling your house than selling several similar or even a significantly higher priced house.

People are far too focused on squeezing the overall percentage down rather than looking at how to get the best work out of an EA and significantly improving the sale price achieved.

Each time, our house (and that of friends) has sold for a lot more than very similar (and, frankly, somewhat better properties) on sale in the same area.
    DORMANT ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by kyber View Post
      It has worked considerably in our favour, and that of several friends, each time we have done it. The principle is that there is little incentive for an EA (and the bods working for an EA who only get around 5% of the 1 - 1.5% fee the EA company earns) to make any more effort to sell your home and get the best price possible than just selling whatever they can with the least amount of effort, especially if your property is not a higher value property in the market area.

By, say, taking the average suggested selling price-point for your home of a number of EAs in the area, and then offering them their basic % up to that price-point, then saying, for example, 5% (inc VAT) for anything over that price-point up to a higher price point and then 10% (inc VAT) for anything over that higher price-point you make it much more interesting and worthwhile for the EA to do a lot more to maximise the sale price achieved. They can get more money from selling your house than selling several similar or even a significantly higher priced house.

People are far too focused on squeezing the overall percentage down rather than looking at how to get the best work out of an EA and significantly improving the sale price achieved.

Each time, our house (and that of friends) has sold for a lot more than very similar (and, frankly, somewhat better properties) on sale in the same area.

Alright, who has created this most tedious of all sockies ? If he posts some more I might need a vomit bucket.
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I sold my house in Sept last year and still waiting

Guy at top of chain broke off twice because he somehow felt the house was not for him. Then eventually found one and we were meant to exchange on Aug 13 but the vendor at top of chain decided to not sell at the very last minute. On top of all this we had a dispute in middle of chain where the couple were splitting and the guy wanted ££££ more at last minute, that delayed things by a month.

Anyway we have a much shorter chain now and hoping to exchange in 2 weeks.
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by kyber View Post
          No idea what a c0cksocket is
          So along with scruples, you don't possess a mirror either?
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Alright, who has created this most tedious of all sockies ? If he posts some more I might need a vomit bucket.
            Go forth and vomit. I shall try to wind in my sockie like behaviours (or at least create a puppet, rather than using an account that is so well associated with my public identity, for such posts).
            DORMANT ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I sold my house in Sept last year and still waiting

Guy at top of chain broke off twice because he somehow felt the house was not for him. Then eventually found one and we were meant to exchange on Aug 13 but the vendor at top of chain decided to not sell at the very last minute. On top of all this we had a dispute in middle of chain where the couple were splitting and the guy wanted ££££ more at last minute, that delayed things by a month.

Anyway we have a much shorter chain now and hoping to exchange in 2 weeks.
              I had someone pull out a few days before exchange as it turned out they had lied about actually having an agreed mortgage. Coupled with the stress of going through a divorce at the time, it really didn't help matters at all.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

They are now saying they hope to exchange / complete September
                There go's the Bank Holiday DIY plans!

Comment

Originally posted by CloudWalker View Post
                  There go's the Bank Holiday DIY plans!
                  Holy carp - That's the worst wrong apostrophe I think ever seen!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X