• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Syrian toddler Aylan's father drove capsized boat, other passengers say

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Read my first sentence or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

They are leaving because they see they have no future as they think they will be in a camp for decades.

(Sorry watching a BBC3 thing on girls and coding)
    Any idiot can work out what their motivation is but so what?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I'm thinking obtuse. Education is a birth right, not something to be profited from. We're a sad species indeed if we deliberately withhold others from reaching their potential.

The choice should be up to the individual. I'm not angling for full on Montessori. However I'm fairly certain higher education would be fee free were admission levels half of what they are now.
      You're all over the place here. Choice up to the individual, but admission levels half of what they are now? Do you think that half the people in uni now don't want to be there? You can't have it both ways.

You still haven't explained why you think only uni should be free and not any other higher education. Sounds very elitist.

Comment

You can't go to university in a refugee camp especially when you don't know whether you will be there months or years.
        They are leaving because they see they have no future as they think they will be in a camp for decades.
        Pick one.

You're always very good at definitively stating what other people think or feel without having any way to actually know these details. Of course, you also always seem to directly know the affected people and have first or second-hand experience of any issues.
        Last edited by Ticktock; 15 September 2015, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          But for an accident of birth you could be one of these people? What would you do? Open a recruitment agency?
          Pretty sure his birth was an accident - for us, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            You're all over the place here. Choice up to the individual, but admission levels half of what they are now? Do you think that half the people in uni now don't want to be there? You can't have it both ways.

You still haven't explained why you think only uni should be free and not any other higher education. Sounds very elitist.
            Attending university is higher education in my book..
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

pity for you many European countries tend to value trade qualifications as much as University ones.

Obviously we are snooty in the UK.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

More important than learning to read and write?

For someone who did not go to University I am appalled at the advantages that are continually bestowed upon people just because they are intelligent. What about us thickos? We get sent to sh*t schools, taught by sh*t teachers and sent to work to pay taxes just to keep the "entitled" so called "intelligensia".

I am going to set up the political party for "Thickos" what shall we call it?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You still haven't explained how everyone will have a choice to go to uni but attendance will halve to pay for it. Doesn't add up.

Why should you and your posh mates get to go to uni for free, but tradies and community colleges have to pay?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    pity for you many European countries tend to value trade qualifications as much as University ones.

Obviously we are snooty in the UK.
                    Indeed, which are often paid for by the employer. I was an apprentice electrician myself, paid for by my employer, before deciding this going to uni. As it turned out electrical installation did not excite me the way it did others to the point they were photographing their work.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      More important than learning to read and write?

For someone who did not go to University I am appalled at the advantages that are continually bestowed upon people just because they are intelligent. What about us thickos? We get sent to sh*t schools, taught by sh*t teachers and sent to work to pay taxes just to keep the "entitled" so called "intelligensia".

I am going to set up the political party for "Thickos" what shall we call it?
                      I'm of the school of thought 'life is what you make it'. Opportunities do not present themselves to those that do not look for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X