• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I stay or should I go (to America) ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    "The love of man for woman waxeth and waneth line the moon"
    Is this some BDSM thing, pouring melted candles on naked bums?

Comment

If GFP isn't prepared to wait or go long distance, sadly she isn't the one. IMHO.

If you are thinking seriously of straying - ditto.

picturing & putting it in the fantasy bank is allowed.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Not been there but many colleagues visited Dallas back when I worked for Texas Instruments. They reported climate less than ideal. *Extremely hot*. Also Houston also extremely humid. In winter they have "ice storms" that can deposit an inch of ice on your car.
        Yes my understanding is it can be very very hot, or very cold with ice storms, mostly very dry, lots of tornados to keep you on your toes.

Not what you would call a perfect climate by any stretch.

I've also read that almost all of Texas is privately owned land. If you accidently trespass, it is the owners legal right to shoot and kill you. So don't think of wandering around in the countryside.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          I'm 98% sure ClientCo will terminate my contract if I decline the job. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
          I'm inclined to think that could end up being a blessing in disguise.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            I've also read that almost all of Texas is privately owned land. If you accidently trespass, it is the owners legal right to shoot and kill you. So don't think of wandering around in the countryside.
            I'd have thought that would be something you'd approve of.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              If GFP isn't prepared to wait or go long distance, sadly she isn't the one. IMHO.

If you are thinking seriously of straying - ditto.

picturing & putting it in the fantasy bank is allowed.
              ^This, in regards to choosing based on feelings. If GFP really cares about you beyond the physical relationship she will understand that going to US is not only the best thing for your career but probably the only thing. If you both want the relationship to develop further the best choice would be to give the US a go while maintaining a long distance relationship for a couple of months. If you don't like it - terminate the contract and come back to UK, if you do like it, get GFP over to US for a week show her around and see how she feels. If she doesn't like it then you will have to make the hard choice but at least armed with more information about the work/live side of things. This will allow you to separate the decision to move/don't move to US and dump/not dump GFP.

OTOH if GFP is not willing to wait for 3 months so you can test the waters in US, this should be enough of a confirmation how serious is she about your relation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                spends his time alternating between rearranging his pens into neat rows on his desk
                I read that as 'penis', which was confusing.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Wherever you go you'll take your problems in their various forms with you. But hey.

Dallas in Feb was far too hot for me. The bugs terrified me.

Though I did find the Dallas women generally fabulous (not that I partook).

Comment

I'd do it for the experience (or, rather, have done). I lived in the north east US for several years, and I'd say it's a great opportunity. There are nice parts of TX too. For example, DFW is quite nice (great music scene), and the TX hill country is great. There's nothing quite like a road trip in the US (and you could almost spend your life doing them). Might be something of a culture shock, though, if you're not a regular visitor already, and you'd need to get used to the climate there.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      I read that as 'penis', which was confusing.
                      Are you not getting enough?

Comment

Working...
                      X