• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singing the Anthem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Corbyn is making a point about his dislike for all things British.
    What utter rubbish.
    Would you do the same in say mosque in protest at the way women are treated in saudi and elsewher in the Arab world. I think not.
    That would probably be illegal, not to mention dangerous. It's a silly comparison. Plus of course, the Muslims tend to believe the things they say - when you ask God to save the Queen you're just mumbling nonsense. You're holding up "you wouldn't dare say that to a bunch of hard-line Muslims" as an argument? That's precisely the kind of thing we DON'T want.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If you and your wife were invited to a mosque would you expect her (assuming you have a wife) to wear a scarf to cover her head?
      Yes.

We visited the Blue Mosque in Turkey while on holiday. MrsB wore a headscarf, I wore full length trousers and shirtsleeves, we both removed our shoes. It's a matter of respect.

We'd do the same if visting a Synagogue (minus the shoes bit and plus a Kippa if requested).
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        when you ask God to save the Queen you're just mumbling nonsense.
        It's not "God, save the Queen"; it's the subjunctive mood expressing a wish, like "Long live The Queen" (or Rock and Roll). I.e. it's shortened from "May God save the Queen". You're not asking God to do anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...nt_subjunctive

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think they should be doing less of singing the anthem and more of actual work there - it's not X Factor or the Voice.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I think they should be doing less of singing the anthem and more of actual work there - it's not X Factor or the Voice.
            Less work they do the better. Politicians are the biggest problem with the UK.

Comment

Everyone furious as agnostic republican doesn’t sing song about God rescuing a monarch

Comment

The only singing politicians should be doing is during interview in the police station...

Comment

If he'd been there as a representative of an avowedly republican party, then not singing would have been fine. He was wrong not to sing the National Anthem as the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. He was not disrespectful to those who fought in the war.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    If he'd been there as a representative of an avowedly republican party, then not singing would have been fine. He was wrong not to sing the National Anthem as the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. He was not disrespectful to those who fought in the war.
                    So if he was a Lib Dem it would be ok?
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Royal, not Loyal...

Comment

Working...
                      X