• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hot stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotch Bonnet,

Garlic,

Lime Juice,

Vinigar

Coriander

Salt

Pepper

Blitz it all in a blender and bottle it.

You could add mango or papaya if you wanted something a bit fruitier. De-Seed the peppers for the faint hearted.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Komodo Dragon,

Garlic,

Lime Juice,

Vinigar

Coriander

Salt

Pepper

You could add mango or papaya if you wanted something a bit fruitier. De-Seed the peppers for the faint hearted.
      FTFY
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I am tempted to make some from "First Principles" I do admit.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Scotch Bonnet,

Garlic,

Lime Juice,

Vinigar

Coriander

Salt

Pepper

Habanero is a good swap chilli for flavour and heat.

Also adding a carrot can be good.

If you want a sweet sauce - try adding raisins. They give sweetness and flavour.

One final comment - you want it to be really runny, as it thickens as it cools and you will never get it out other wise ;-(
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Hot stuff

http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes...hot_sauce.html

http://www.food.com/recipe/belizean-...t-sauce-440697
            Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 23 September 2015, 15:20.

Comment

OK Well I've tried making my first batch, using:

5 Scotch Bonnet peppers, boiled for 10 mins, blitzed with:

malt vinegar
              teaspoon oil
              salt
              black pepper
              teaspoon garlic
              juice from half a lime

But it's like fire water! Way too hot and perhaps a bit watery, it made about half a honey jar full. How can I cool it off a bit?
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Hot stuff

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

malt vinegar
                teaspoon oil
                salt
                black pepper
                teaspoon garlic
                juice from half a lime

But it's like fire water! Way too hot and perhaps a bit watery, it made about half a honey jar full. How can I cool it off a bit?
                Scotch bonnets are hard core - habernero next time for flavour and heat ;-)

Sweat down a large onion and garlic clove, then cook a chopped carrot. If you want a bit of sweetness lob in some raisins. Then poor that mad dog sauce back in, boil till all is soft, and blend it up.

Other fruit to think about are dried apricots, pinapple, and mango. They give sweetness and body to your sauce.
                Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 25 September 2015, 11:05.

Comment

malt vinegar
                  teaspoon oil
                  salt
                  black pepper
                  teaspoon garlic
                  juice from half a lime

It will be more liquid than the bottled suff as that uses starch to thicken it. You can get the same effect by bringing it to a simmer and adding a teaspoon of cornflour mixed in a little water. Stir till it thickens and then cool. Boiling the chilli's first will add to the water content as well. I wouldn't bother.

You can tone down the heat by adding sugar, although it may end up sweeter than you want.

Otherwise as mentioned above, make a fresh batch using raisins or mango and without the chilli, then add slowly the hot stuff back into it, tasting as you go until you get the heat you want.

I'd use white vinegar rather than malt as well.

You could replace the vinegar completely with lime juice if you wanted but it won't keep as long. The vinegar acts as a preservative.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 25 September 2015, 11:20.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yep, I'd rather not have my details sat on yet another server to get hacked/leaked/sold. There's two options:

1) I'm an existing customer
                    2) I'm new and I need to register

It needs a third one :

3) I can't be arsed registering or any of that tulip, that's what PayPal or [insert name of 3rd party secure payment processor] is for.
                    Or maybe they need to know where you live and how to contact you... even if you don't register they're going to have all the same information on file somewhere surely?
                    There might even be regulatory issues in case of recalls or other unusual cases, though that's a total guess.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Hmm I thought Scotch Bonnet was below Habanero in the pecking order.. I'll try the onion and carrot etc. to tone it down a bit. Cheers all!

Comment

Working...
                      X