• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a car - how do you finance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What kind of contractor are you?
    Overweight 'Walter Mitty fantasist' on benefits

HTH

Karen Buckley killer Alexander Pacteau was a 'Walter Mitty fantasist' | Daily Mail Online

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Not as bad as a permie then.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Not as bad as a Scot then.
        FTFY

Comment

I just run it through the company under "Miscellaneous". My accountant signs it off and HMRC approves it.

In your case, I think you mean "buying a bicycle"....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            In your case, I think you mean "borrowing a bicycle"....
            FTFY

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                So it's 10 years since I last bought my car and it's time to get another. The missus's is about 6 years old.

In the past I've always bought it outright, but today was going through finance with the garage when they talked about PCP, whereby they give you a price guarantee in 3 years if you trade in.

Apart from the APR on the deal, are these 'price guarantees' any good or am I better buying outright?

What does the panel do?

surely PCP on a new car is a bad idea.

I got a year old BMW 3 series. had 13k on the clock and 35% off the new price. Who would be silly enough to pay that 35% depreciation I have no idea?

Comment

Whatever you get offered it will be below the trade price that the car would be at in 3 years, they will take that off you and sell it for more than the retail price whilst getting a profit on your new car, they will also get commission on your new loan on that new car.

You are getting fecked on every leg of the deal.

Comment

70k is a lot for a car. So it worked out at 20k down' payments of 880 per month and a value of 31k in 3 years.

I don't know if that's a good deal?
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      70k is a lot for a car. So it worked out at 20k down' payments of 880 per month and a value of 31k in 3 years.

I don't know if that's a good deal?
                      It's a very good deal for the seller...

31k out of 70k after 3 years is very high depreciation.

Comment

Working...
                      X