• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone running an office server for home use, suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using Xpenology, port of the Synology DMS that can run on non-Synology hardware

Comment

I use FreeNAS 9.3 for my NAS box. It does ZFS (software RAID). If the hardware fails, you can pull the disks out and put it into any other system capable of running ZFS, run zfs import and it'll all just start working again. You don't even need to attach the disks in order. I've tried it and it definitely works.

I use a bunch of the plugins too:

Download FreeNAS Release - FreeNAS Project

Plugins:

Features - FreeNAS Project
      And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Do you use ECC memory with ZFS? I have heard a lot of horror stories of data corruption in ZFS by not using ECC memory, some details here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php...and-zfs.15449/

Comment

I bought a 12TB Oracle 7210 Unified Storage SAN/NAS cheap, that does ZFS and has a wee card with some SSD's on it for cacheing. Despite being a diehard Sun (now Oracle)-head I just don't get on with it, the Fishworks OS and GUI I find hard to navigate.

It's basically a Sun X4450 stuffed with disks and fibre cards....

I'm always on eBay looking for bargains, bought a quarter rack of IBM kit that wasn't moving so I made a silly offer (£200) and it was mine. I wanted the DS3400/EXP3000 SAN from it but I got a TS3100 tape library, 16-port Fibre Switch, and four IBM servers I chucked in the corner as well. Recently took a look at them, two meaty ones, but no disk/ram, one little thing but the last one was a dual Xeon with 128gb ram so that's my home server now, uses 180w not bad for the oomph....

Comment

I now use ECC memory, because it wasn't _that_ much more expensive. I ran it without for quite a few years with no problems (in a HP Microserver actually).
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

This is my gear - I'd not really describe it as quiet, though.

(It's destined for the garage when we move)

Comment

I think I've discounted NAS as it seems to me they're mainly for if you want access to their files 24/7, but have a sepatate PC/Gaming Rig that they turn on when needed, which isn't the way I work..

Quite like the look of the Lenovo TS440 which is a bit bigger than the TS140 but a bit more pricey, but more space and bigger PSU.
                Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Working...
                X