• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cant pay wont pay on TV - people getting evicted for not paying rent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Was the new rent they wanted the market rent? Did they have any problem renting it out? If so why should they subsidise you?
    They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

So if I go abroad to work I shouldn't rent the house out or have a reasonable expectation to get it back so my family can live in it? This so as not to upset a tenant.
    If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.

Comment

[QUOTE=vetran;2163312]
      Originally posted by meridian View Post

Its funny that as an owner you have more protection renting out a car than you do renting a property.

I was very careful with the choice of words.

Its a rental property full stop, you may consider it "Your" home but it isn't any more than a hotel room is your home. Now I'm sympathetic with those that pay market rents and have sensible tenancies but those on subsidised rents and council tenancies get on my nerves.
      Apples and oranges. A roof over your family's head is a necessity and is expected to be a long term proposition, so the emotional attachment is greater than a hotel room or a car (granted, there are some boofheads who would have a greater attachment to their car...).

It might just be a rental property to you "full stop", but to the tenant it's a home. Just saying that it's one thing and showing no empathy for the other side doesn't make it so.

Comment

Renting out a house as a landlord is an optional activity, but living in a house/flat isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          They decided to sell the house. It was a big firm actually with thousands of houses.

If you choose to go abroad to work then it's your choice, you should be paid well for that decision to cover any costs of the house that you'll have (like what - council tax, standing charge on electric?). If you letting house to tenants then it should be long term game, unless it's something inherently short term like say student needs place for a term.
          boo hoo so they weren't any nicer than a BTLer?

The landlord bought the house its 'His/Hers' so if they come back from abroad and give the proper legal notice then they are entitled to their house back.

The tenant rented the house it is still the landlord's.

If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you want the benefits of owning a house then buy one, if you want to rent then expect some downsides. Sorry its as simple as that.
            It's also senseless to expect landlords to try fill the holes left by years of bad govt housing and credit policy, that have made it so unaffordable as it currently is, as it amounts to attacking a symptom rather than any actual causes.

Comment

I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.

Comment

I think landlords should be required to have a license and such license should only be issued for newly build houses that those landlords financed in full - that would be OK.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can take the man out of the state but you cannot take the state out of the man
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                  X