• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tenants possibly trying it on for house repairs/upgrades?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    FTFY
    Doesn't seem to be a very profitable one, pesky maintenance costs
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What an outrageous attitude, OP

The first year fiasco was hardly the tenants' fault now was it? Down to your incompetence by the sound of it.

No profit from the rent? Oh boo hoo but I assume the house is increasing in value.

Be nice to them and they'll be nice back. Be nasty to them and they can cause you much more inconvenience and cost than you could imagine. Although with a new baby I doubt they'd be interested in following that path.

I had a leak which caused the living room ceiling to collapse in my house. There was some discolouration a few weeks beforehand, landlord wasn't interested. When it collapsed, it became an insurance job. Had he tended to it beforehand, it would not have been. Major inconvenience for me as it took weeks to fix and I was without a bathroom for 7 days.

Your tenants shouldn't have knackered the door, I agree, but don't punish them for what sounds like a mistake. I hardly think they are planning a series of home improvements through damaging your property - not after 2 years. But if this might cross their minds, ensure that the property is properly maintained and ask them if everything's ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        What an outrageous attitude, OP

The first year fiasco was hardly the tenants' fault now was it? Down to your incompetence by the sound of it.

No profit from the rent? Oh boo hoo but I assume the house is increasing in value.

Be nice to them and they'll be nice back. Be nasty to them and they can cause you much more inconvenience and cost than you could imagine. Although with a new baby I doubt they'd be interested in following that path.

I had a leak which caused the living room ceiling to collapse in my house. There was some discolouration a few weeks beforehand, landlord wasn't interested. When it collapsed, it became an insurance job. Had he tended to it beforehand, it would not have been. Major inconvenience for me as it took weeks to fix and I was without a bathroom for 7 days.

Your tenants shouldn't have knackered the door, I agree, but don't punish them for what sounds like a mistake. I hardly think they are planning a series of home improvements through damaging your property - not after 2 years. But if this might cross their minds, ensure that the property is properly maintained and ask them if everything's ok.

Obviously from the Hoogstraten school of landlords
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

FTFY
          Well, no. The OP is expecting to spend nothing to maintain his investment, and is irritated that his 'hands off' approach hasn't quite worked.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Well, no. The OP is expecting to spend nothing to maintain his investment, and is irritated that his 'hands off' approach hasn't quite worked.
            No the OP is questioning why two significant events weren't handled better protecting his investment. He is also asking people in the same business is he making good decisions?

Everyone is getting upset because the OP is a BTLer. Their answers are biased on the fairness of the situation.

As mentioned above a leak will give a warning. There was another door that was not used and they damaged a door rather than call out a locksmith or the landlord.

If he had couched it as 'Am I a muppet for not noticing a leak above the kitchen in my own house or forcing a stuck door when I could use the back door?' you would all reply yes probably, just because he rents it then he is supposed to suck it up and pay for them possibly damaging his house on purpose or by stupidity.

The answer I would give is he needs to talk to the tenants and ask them to tell him of anything suspicious such as a stain on the ceiling or a sticky door so he can fix them in good time.

Remind them its his investment and they are to ask him before they do anything to damage it such as forcing the door. Those are both reasonable comments.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No the OP is questioning why two significant events weren't handled better protecting his investment. He is also asking people in the same business is he making good decisions?

Everyone is getting upset because the OP is a BTLer. Their answers are biased on the fairness of the situation.

As mentioned above a leak will give a warning. There was another door that was not used and they damaged a door rather than call out a locksmith or the landlord.

If he had couched it as 'Am I a muppet for not noticing a leak above the kitchen in my own house or forcing a stuck door when I could use the back door?' you would all reply yes probably, just because he rents it then he is supposed to suck it up and pay for them possibly damaging his house on purpose or by stupidity.

The answer I would give is he needs to talk to the tenants and ask them to tell him of anything suspicious such as a stain on the ceiling or a sticky door so he can fix them in good time.

Remind them its his investment and they are to ask him before they do anything to damage it such as forcing the door. Those are both reasonable comments.
              In fact, he's asking what strategies he could employ in case they get a taste for trying to rip him off. Which isn't what it sounds like they're doing.

As you say, they should be asked to take more care rather than screwed over should their landlord deem the cost of future repairs too much.

I'm a BTLer so that's nothing to do with it.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Everyone is getting upset because the OP is a BTLer
                I haven't any issue with people doing BTL, even though I don't myself, more his attitude in the way he is thinking about the situation.

Some landlords are good ones, others bad, simple as that.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I haven't any issue with people doing BTL, even though I don't myself, more his attitude in the way he is thinking about the situation.

Some landlords are good ones, others bad, simple as that.
                  I think he wanted reassurance as well so I doubt he is truly bad.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    Cheers Mary but you don't need to misquote the post and replace with utter dog tulipe thanks.

Perhaps I shouldn't have included the background, and had the subject as "What should a landlord do in the hypothetical situation whereby his tenants deliberately damage fixtures and fittings, then ask for a replacement?" but there weren't enough characters.

.. If you read the OP I said I don't think they are, but what should I do if they were so I could be ready.

Anyhow, I've asked the same question on exploitedtenantsagainstslumlords.com, I'll see what they come back with.
                    Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                    "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

I once had to break in to a flat I rented. I called the agent and explained that it was early hours in the morning and the lock had seized. I asked them to apologise to the landlady on my behalf, but to also say that I had no other option.

Everyone was as good as gold about it. Lock and door fixed the next day. I stayed there until I bought my first house, lovely flat.

Not all landlords are crap. I'm not saying the OP is crap FTAOD, just that some seem quick to criticise anyone who dares to rent out a property.

Comment

Working...
                      X