• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm done with using a limited.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    not necessarily. There is a difference between an entrepreneur, a freelance and an employee

I may not be an entrepreneur, but I am not an employee
    You are then a 'worker' in Government-speak.

I personally consider myself an employee. An employee of a small limited company that I happen to own the shares of, and also direct through my appointment as a director. But when I perform services for clients, I do so in the capacity of a permanent employee of my own company.
    Last edited by m0n1k3r; 25 November 2015, 22:10.

Comment

General and not one really abusive post yet.

Standards are slipping.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        one vital missing fact here. How much will it cost you for the peace of mind ?
        Good question - one that I've not yet worked out (I don't really trust the online calculators), but at my day rate it'll be a reasonable uptick for the revenue. That said, the money in my account will be mine, and not at (as much) risk of Hector helping himself whenever he wants.

I'm no newbie either, having been contracting for 11 years now. I'm just fed up to the back teeth with being viewed as something scraped off a shoe by HMRC/Gov.uk.

Next step - convince the family to move to a better country (I don't just speak English, so that helps).

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          If it works for you do it.

There are experienced contractors doing the same as you for less stress.
          what is of less stress ? working through umbrella I might still get caught by IR35, or not ?

Comment

Originally posted by Earlyflash1 View Post
            After all of the stress waiting to see what writing was on the wall from Mr Georgie, and the relief today on the fact that he didn't have it in for us this time, it suddenly dawned on me that I'm sick and tired of all of this tulip and feeling under attack every second day from HMRC and gov.uk.

So, I'm out from running a ltd and am going to move to an umbrella approach instead. Yes, not as tax efficient, but it'll stop be having to look over my shoulder every second waiting for the knife to appear.

Of course, perhaps this is exactly what Conservative central wants, but I don't care any more, I'm fed up with being the bad guy.

Appreciate no-one cares, but wanted to get it off my chest.
            Cool. I don't think you will notice much difference financially. When you take into account the Ltd expense, eg. £1500/year accountancy, the difference isn't that great IMO. I was brolly for 6 years, now Ltd for 3. Meh.

Doin' this from a Raspberry Pi. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by NewCUKMember View Post
              what is of less stress ? working through umbrella I might still get caught by IR35, or not ?
              I hope to god you are also through an umbrella.....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, because working through an umbrella, you pay full PAYE and NI on your contract income (after expenses). In other words, you pay roughly what you would pay if you were deemed to be inside IR35, so nobody like HMRC cares if you're inside or not.

Comment

It looks like the bait has arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    No, because working through an umbrella, you pay full PAYE and NI on your contract income (after expenses). In other words, you pay roughly what you would pay if you were deemed to be inside IR35, so nobody like HMRC cares if you're inside or not.
                    Then if I understand all this correctly, and my numbers are right

the amount you lose on dividend tax vs the amount you lose on employers NIC is about the same.

so in cash terms, it's a wash. roughly

but if you go brolly, you can be corralled, identified and mass-f*cked
                    but if you stay ltd, you might get forced to be an employee, soonish

nice.
                    very nice
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      General and not one really abusive post yet.

Standards are slipping.
                      ***** off you twunt!

hth!

Comment

Working...
                      X