• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal British, Princes Street - Edinburgh is over the road from Waverley Station and reasonable rates. Check that the room you book has been refurbished last year in case they haven't finished them all yet. Very reasonable rates.

Similarly, Hotels in Cardiff - Cardiff Hotels - Royal Hotel Cardiff is doing excellent prices and 5 mins walk from the train station in the centre of the city. No car parking and no evening meals but you are in the centre of a city with lots of food options available within 5 mins walk. Possibly the best room I've stayed in with the exception of an executive suite in Nice at B&B prices.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
      Similarly, Hotels in Cardiff - Cardiff Hotels - Royal Hotel Cardiff is doing excellent prices and 5 mins walk from the train station in the centre of the city. No car parking and no evening meals but you are in the centre of a city with lots of food options available within 5 mins walk. Possibly the best room I've stayed in with the exception of an executive suite in Nice at B&B prices.
      Long walk to the center of Edinburgh, from there, though, eh?
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Are you flying or taking the Bentley ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
          Are you flying or taking the Bentley ?
          Flying, only because it's quicker.
          Last edited by Lockhouse; 8 January 2016, 20:56.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

My home city Mk II.

When it comes to recommendations of the best and latest places to eat then refer to the list. Events and what's on is also listed. However eateries, a friend does the reviews, that are on top never disappoint.

https://www.list.co.uk

My own personal favourite for that special meal is the Grain Store Restaurant - you'll need a deep pocket but well worth the money IMO.

Go here for lunch:http://www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com. No matter how many times I visit home I'm always making sure I squeeze in a visit to the outsider.

After dinner you might try the http://www.smws.co.uk, although I'm not sure it's open to members of the public.

PM me and if you want accommodation, we've a apartment with a wood burner, which you'll want at this time of year.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 8 January 2016, 21:25.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I always thought McDonalds was a traditional Scottish restaurant

Domhnall mac Raghnaill, the eponymous progenitor of Clan Donald (Clann Dhòmhnaill, "Children of Donald"), was from the Hebrides, but lived most of his life on the Scottish mainland, where he developed the earliest known version of the "haimburgour", a pattie of minced haggis to be eaten between two slices of "bannock bread"....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Novotel at Edinburgh park is good, has a pool, right next to tram and Edinburgh park train station so 5 mins to the center, and on tram route form airport.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks very much for all the links and recommendations. More than enough for the weekend we're going to be there.

We've booked The Balmoral; eating in their main restaurant one night and The Fishers on the other. I'll use some of your other recommendations for lunch - so they won't be wasted.

Mucho appreciated.
                  Last edited by Lockhouse; 9 January 2016, 13:55. Reason: New info added.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                  X