• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you have a minute

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner works for a council that has stopped paying car benefit and uses pool cars instead. Staff are no longer supposed to use their own vehicles for work. I suspect the days of perms getting to expense this kind of thing will be passing before long.

If I had to travel 100mi to work then this would suck, but given how much someone would have to pay me to do that in the first place I could probably take it. As it stands this is like £15-20/week that I'd have to spend if I was perm here and I'm definitely inside IR35, so I honestly don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Your argument falls because most people will accept higher and higher taxes and will do pretty much anything to not end up in living on the streets.

HMRC are solely interested in taking as much as they can - in an ideal world everyone would work 7am to 8 pm, eat lentils and water, go to bed at 9, work until they are 75, stay fit and then die.

it would be better for the rich and fook the not rich (which is us lot by the way)
      In the same way that many people are one missed pay check away from losing their home, what makes you think that subbies aren't in the same state? After all you live by your means. I'm sure I;m not the only one that has had a cold shock when my source of income dries up. On that basis your argument falls as well. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to stop the work supply falling into dust. 2008 was the laast time it happened to me.

Although I'd agree about the last bit except if it wasn't for the "poor" the rich would have to clean their own crap.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post

If I had to travel 100mi to work then this would suck, but given how much someone would have to pay me to do that in the first place I could probably take it.
        Sadly in my case it's more a case of losing the time that I can't get back. cancer has a habit of focussing your mind on wasting time... So I'd rather work close to home, on less money but get to see my family to have more arguments with. Problem being there's not that much in my back yard in my trade.

Comment

That does suck and in many cases, historically, people have no choice but long commutes or migrating. It's a shame the promise of the "home commuter" hasn't been realised; largely I think because of an ignorance of technology amongst the managerial classes and the old-fashioned notion that "if I don't see you at your desk, you're not really working."

Comment

I often used to wonder how manu=y of those people I see driving onto Hayling Island are commuting from London to go to work, whilst I'm commuting to London to work..

I'd like to think not many but I bet I'm wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              That's not true. They've got all that extra supervision, direction or control to help them along.

The rest of us have to wing it.

Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
              X