• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiter's scathing LinkedIn rejection shamed online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see no issue with asking about location. This idea that its "all about the role" is permie crap. Come on - all we want is the role that pays the most, is least hassle. OK sometime we need to look a little more long term but the original still applies.

A role may come up for me 75 miles away. I aint keen on driving 2 hours to get there every day. BUT, if its near the train station its a LOT less hassle for me. It might be the best gig in the world but this may make it a GO/NO-GO for me. (unless I was desperate and the JSA had run out!)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Below is a similar conversation I had recently (read from bottom up):-

Hi psycho,

The only discussion we have had is you asking about rate as opposed to wanting to know more about the opportunity or company. When I let you know the rate you discounted the role as its lower than your normal day rate - that is absolutely fine but this to me implies that the rate is the most important factor for you as you wouldn't have responded if the skills were not a match.

Anyone actually has a discussion with my client at interview stage want to work for my client and if they are fortunate enough to get the role they do not want to leave - the environment and company as a whole are very exciting.

Kind regards

Pimp

Hi Pimp,

Didn't say it was the most important factor. I merely indicated that it was below my normal rate to let you know that I would not be interested. I could, of course, have just deleted the email and not bothered letting you know.

However, I am a little intrigued as to what you mean by this? You seem to be implying that I would not be suitable because you think I am only looking at the rate. That's a bit harsh...

rgds

Psycho

Hi Psycho,

If rate is the most important factor for you then I doubt this would be the right role anyway. My client look for candidates to look beyond just what they take home.

All the best,

pimp

Hi Pimp,

Re: Contract X

Sorry - I'm afraid that's a little too low a rate for me at the moment. Thanks anyway,

rgds
      Psycho

Comment

Wow... Must have a been a low rate for you to turn it down.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Hmmm. Maybe. BUT a manager at a clients job is to get value out of the expensive contractor. I if they can somehow get them to work extra or get something for free then they're doing well.

I have no problem with it. They're just trying to get the best out of the deal. It only becomes an issue for me if they try to force the issue.
          I guess my situation is different to yours, I'm usually managing the "manager".

When faced with doing a little free work, a few years ago, I said i would agree to putting a few extra hours in.
          However, I made clear the weekends were "sacred" / "no go" etc.

I was then, subsequently, asked to do weekend work.

I agreed again, however the rate would be £*1.5 for Saturday and £xxx*2 for Sunday.
          Very profitable for what I did do

Please note, I got this in place for other bed wetting contractors, also, although, I never got any thanks for it.

Strangely, all the others were let go, after and I was engaged for other projects.
          It goes against what you often say PC, that they will get rid of contractors that don't bend over backwards for them.

I stress that it will depend what level you are, if you are a low level grunt, you can't be so forthright.
          However there is a difference to that and taking one for the Client Co team.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Wow... Must have a been a low rate for you to turn it down.
            It was well crap if I remember correctly. Which was why I think the agent was trying the old "polish a turd". (and it was in Neath!)

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              I guess my situation is different to yours, I'm usually managing the "manager".

When faced with doing a little free work, a few years ago, I said i would agree to putting a few extra hours in.
              However, I made clear the weekends were "sacred" / "no go" etc.

I was then, subsequently, asked to do weekend work.

I agreed again, however the rate would be £*1.5 for Saturday and £xxx*2 for Sunday.
              Very profitable for what I did do

Please note, I got this in place for other bed wetting contractors, also, although, I never got any thanks for it.

Strangely, all the others were let go, after and I was engaged for other projects.
              It goes against what you often say PC, that they will get rid of contractors that don't bend over backwards for them.

I stress that it will depend what level you are, if you are a low level grunt, you can't be so forthright.
              However there is a difference to that and taking one for the Client Co team.
              Ah no. I never say bend over backwards.What I do preach is don't act like an awkward dick for the sake of it. Also, let "some" things go and remember whos paying unltimately.

I certainly don't agree with working for free. If they want to keep the contractor that does 12 hours and works weekends for free then I'll gladly step aside!

But I've also worked one place where fellow contractors stupidity encouraged the client. One young lady used to consistently agree to work extra hours, weekends for free. Worked weeks without contract extensions sorted etc too. I refused these things and of course client thought I was being awkward.

BUT, my comment still stands. Something comes up, client manager has to get it done. If they can get contractor to 'offer' to do it for free then they win.

I've been at lots of client like this. You just need to ensure you get something sorted and not let them get away with it.

For instance, at current client, I'll do the work then say, right I'm assuming you'd rather not pay me extra for this that you'll be ok if I dont come in one Friday and bill for it then to cover this? Usually response is "well, umm, ok I guess". I know damn well they wont offer unless I ask!

Suits me mostly. I get forced to take time (for a rest - no temptation to rake in the cash!) and dont lose any billable days.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                It was well crap if I remember correctly. Which was why I think the agent was trying the old "polish a turd". (and it was in Neath!)

Did they provide stab proof vests for the commute?
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

Did they provide stab proof vests and a large hunting knife for the commute?
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                  X