• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dreaded Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
    I would go perm for the right package that would allow me to continue with my lifestyle and plans but have to be the right place, i dont this is it
    For me to go perm:
    £100k pa (adjusted down due to wanting the perm job in the Manchester area)
    Really easy commute and/or plenty of WFH
    Promotion prospects
    Importance of work/life balance

Contracting it is then.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Just keep stalling. Say you need to talk to your accountant, who is on a 3 month round the world cruise, and then ask about each benefit they will provide, ask for the small print to read. Then come back with a different counter offer.

Then do it all again after a renewal.
      He just wants to look good to his new boss in converting the spendy contractor to perm and saving the world. I am pretty confident the noise will go away and the extension will happen. He even admitted to me he had started the process verbally.

I like the accountant on the world cruise line, i will use that next time

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        For me to go perm:
        Promotion prospects

Contracting it is then.
        Mine would have to be higher base as i just saddled myself with a big house i need to pay off sharpish. I dread the thought of being a drone again and getting involved in the politics and all that jazz

Comment

Mine would have to be higher base as i just saddled myself with a big house i need to pay off sharpish. I dread the thought of being a drone again and getting involved in the politics and all that jazz
          Conversely you get the business lunches, entertainment, etc.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

you get to spend the whole lunch hour fending off questions while trying to eat, starting at 7am and taking conference calls at 11pm.

yeah great.

I'm a stealth drone They just notice things start working after I go past.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'd rather have a pie and a pint on my own money than a gourmet meal that I'm beholden to someone else for. I guess I am NCOTBAP.

Comment

i threw a number out there i turned down (i didnt) of 140k but i dont think he heard it. If he asks me again i will start at 160 and wait for him to faint

Been there done that. I just said, to go perm you'd have to pay me a min salary that gives me exactly what I would get as a contractor from a take home perspective. So we did the maths, they changed it to a salary in the mids 100's, added an extra 20% bonus on top of that, then added the whole lot again in shares, yearly for another four years, if I stayed after the first 12 months.

Seemed rude not to.

Though they do get their pound of flesh.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you just don't want to, then say so.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If you just don't want to, then just say no.

You are Zammo from Grange Hill and I claim my 5 snorts of chasing the dragon.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

For me to go perm:
                      Promotion prospects

Contracting it is then.
                      I want £200k. Bosses wife 3 nights a week. A new DFS sofa. A handyman to bleed my radiators. And every gladiator film ever produced.

Comment

Working...
                      X