• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Geocaching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.... or this one. Would never have seen the shark if there hadn't been a cache there.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      .... like this one. Simple, but clever.

So there is no point to it then, it is just hide and seek with longitude & latitude geographical co-ordinates provided?

Is there not even a leaderboard or anything where you can be in the premier league of geocachers?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Cos it's fun. And it gives you a reason to go and export places you might not otherwise.

CUK Grub Club did a trip to the Netherlands last year, a few of us spent a half day wandering around Leiden, Geocaching, and saw loads of stuff we would never have found otherwise.
        WHS

It gets you outside, takes you to places that you might not usually go to and its actually quite fun
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
          So there is no point to it then, it is just hide and seek with longitude & latitude geographical co-ordinates provided?

Is there not even a leaderboard or anything where you can be in the premier league of geocachers?
          What's the point in going for a walk? What's the point in watching football?

There is a website where you log your finds. It's completely free, but if you pay for premium membership you get your stats page, which shows milestone finds, countries logged etc, etc.

Some people have done tens of thousands of caches. Some have a run of 1000 consecutive caching days or more. You can take it as competitively (or not) as you want.

If it doesn't interest you, don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
            Do adults do this?
            Like many responses above, it seems pretty harmless and a good enough reason/excuse to get out and about and it possibly even provides some mental stimulation.

Personally the biggest catch/downside/doubt I have about it, that makes it very dubious is:

Suity does it!

but tbh I expect Suity:
            eats food
            drinks
            walks
            talks
            and no doubt lots of other things that I also do

So it can't be a total clincher.

Comment

I have a couple of trackables with me here in the US.

Mudskipper introduced me to Geocaching. When she offered to take me into the local woods to show me her secrets, I went willingly, with a skip in my walk & twinkle in my eye. How disappointed I was that first time to find she was pulling some junk out of a tree as opposed to pulling my..

Anyway, these days I find it useful cover for the police in case I am ever stopped while appearing from out of the trees or being found two stories up on the side of a local nurses student digs.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
              X