• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job title question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can put any job title you like on your CV so long as it's not stretching the truth too much. Mine does have "Head of Applications Development", but when that was my last position, my CV read "Development lead" - despite the fact that it was a true middle management position, running a department of ~100 developers.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      You can put any job title you like on your CV so long as it's not stretching the truth too much. Mine does have "Head of Applications Development", but when that was my last position, my CV read "Development lead" - despite the fact that it was a true middle management position, running a department of ~100 developers.
      So you lie on your CV?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I use different titles depending on the role I'm applying for. If I'm applying for a BA position my previous jobs have BA in the title. If I'm applying for a Service Management role it's got service management in the title. The work was the same but most agents don't understand that.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Comment

Just add NINJA to the end of your job title. Sounds cool.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Or... to make it sound even better just include all of the buzzwords in one go so you could be a NINJA GURU ROCKSTAR. Cockwomble would probably be appropriate too

I agree with other people in the thread about the use of Senior as a contractor or consultant. In both cases using senior is just an ego inflating exercise.

Comment

Use job titles that make sense to a human being who doesn't know exactly what you do.

I don't know what a senior front bottom developer is, never mind a senior front bottom contractor.

"Head of Development", I'd prefer to say "Development team leader".
                "Head of" implies management and, more importantly, hands-off.

The job title that you put on your CV needs to be something that makes the reader want to read the detail, and that detail should only be 4 or 5 lines, otherwise you'll lose the reader through boredom, or they will think you are trying to make yourself out to be more than you actually are.

And yes, change your CV to suit the individual roles you are applying for. I'm not saying lie, but if you have experience in BASIC and FORTRAN and a role is looking for a BASIC programmer, then remove (or reduce) the sentences within a job detail that focus on FORTRAN.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Having a management stint on your CV is a positive advantage for contractor roles, provided you can then prove that your technical skills are sharp.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Ditto - I roll my eyes when I see "senior".
                    Someone I used to work with describes himself on LinkedIn as "Senior Principle Hybird Management Consultant"

Somehow he finds work still. Mainly by being dirt cheap.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Or Evangelist
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X