• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit Economics Lesson 1 - Who has the real power in negotiations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
    If you want to play hard ball do ensure that most of your manufacturing industry is domestically owned and/or that you can influence it in some way. Otherwise the Germans can insist on the single market on their conditions leaving you in a bind. Because if tariffs are imposed, your foreign owned industry will In time relocate to the bigger markets of Europe.
    Of course they can play nasty. But then we can play nasty. But then nobody wins.

For example:

The British army is primarily designed to defend Germany's borders. We could pull it back, under the guise of, "We cannot afford it anymore".

GCHQ is the worlds primary intelligence agency. We could stop providing intelligence to our "competitors" who were actively trying to undermine us.

The UK has full rights and responsibilities in Europe until it invokes Article 50. We could veto vast amounts of EU legislation that requires a majority verdict - and there would be nothing that the EU could do about it.

The UK has a permanent seat on the UN security council. We could veto any EU backed initiatives.

The UK is not Greece.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Skoda's are made in the Czech Republic.

Which hasn't yet joined the EU.
      The Czech republic joined the EU in 2004.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        Of course they can play nasty. But then we can play nasty. But then nobody wins.

For example:

The British army is primarily designed to defend Germany's borders. We could pull it back, under the guise of, "We cannot afford it anymore".

GCHQ is the worlds primary intelligence agency. We could stop providing intelligence to our "competitors" who were actively trying to undermine us.

The UK has full rights and responsibilities in Europe until it invokes Article 50. We could veto vast amounts of EU legislation that requires a majority verdict - and there would be nothing that the EU could do about it.

The UK has a permanent seat on the UN security council. We could veto any EU backed initiatives.

The UK is not Greece.
        British troops in Germany already withdrawn (well almost)

With regard not putting in article 50 then the Germans could continue to export to the UK without restrictions. That would probably hurt the UK more than Germany, who are desperate to leave.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 June 2016, 08:12.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

And you got to vote. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The Czech republic joined the EU in 2004.
            Explains the mindset of Brexiters, no knowledge whatsoever
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Thought I'd ask in here as it's probably not thread-worthy: Why is free movement always tied to free trade? I keep reading comments saying there can be no free trade without free movement but I've never read a reason why. Why can't countries just trade with each other and keep visa requirements in place? There must be some logical reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
                Thought I'd ask in here as it's probably not thread-worthy: Why is free movement always tied to free trade? I keep reading comments saying there can be no free trade without free movement but I've never read a reason why. Why can't countries just trade with each other and keep visa requirements in place? There must be some logical reason.

In the EU "free movement" applies to goods, capital, services and people these are the "four freedoms" between member states. This is from the Single European Act of 1986.

More here: The internal market: general principles | EU fact sheets | European Parliament
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They are the rules of the game. If you don't like it, join NAFTA.

Comment

Because the EU say so, they aren't willing to negotiate on that and a few other items which i why Cameron came back empty handed from negotiations & Brexit won. If They had negotiated and not treated us like naughty children then it would probably been a remain vote keeping the veto on ever closer union.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      It would be quite fun to leave Germany to the Russians.

Oh wait. I forgot. Russia has no designs on expansion.....

Comment

Working...
                      X