• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official 'I lost my job/contract because of Brexit' thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    A German Pharmaceutical company announced today that they won't be building a factory in the UK as they planned because of Brexit. instead they'll expand their existing facilities in Germany.

Well paid jobs won't be created, still will increase the labour pool for Wetherspoons. They might be able to cut their hourly rates from 10 to 8 quid.
    Really? Which company?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I read that 3 companies in areas that voted to leave are moving their factories to another country that is in the EU.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        I read that 3 companies in areas that voted to leave are moving their factories to another country that is in the EU.
        That's nice for them.

Any ideas where they are going to go to?

Greece? Portugal?

What do they make and what skills do they need?

It is all well and good saying we are going to relocate but that is a costly business in itself and given that no one can predict what the markets will be like next never mind in 2-4 years time which is about how long it would take to relocate a major company then that just seems to be a somewhat knee jerk reaction.

Or maybe they were thinking of it anyway and are now just using it as an excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          That's nice for them.

Greece? Portugal?

It is all well and good saying we are going to relocate but that is a costly business in itself and given that no one can predict what the markets will be like next never mind in 2-4 years time which is about how long it would take to relocate a major company then that just seems to be a somewhat knee jerk reaction.

Or maybe they were thinking of it anyway and are now just using it as an excuse?
          Well, market elsewhere in the world with certainty is better than UK market with uncertainty.

Comment

That's nice for them.

Greece? Portugal?
            Eastern Europe probably

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Once corporation tax drops to 15%, there will be alot more factories being built. And there is a possibility of more houses and infrastructure to house the vast numbers of people on this small island.
              No, there won't be because corp tax is optional for big multinationals anyway.

HTH

Comment

That's nice for them.

Greece? Portugal?

It was a Times article.

Two are going to Germany - may be they will just hire a load of Syrians.

Comment

What's to say they wouldn't have moved anyway, companies move all the time and plenty have relocated to other countries in the EU over the years.

They'll always do what's right for their profits, why do you think Ford Transit vans are now made in Turkey and not Southampton?

Edit: Yes I know Turkey isn't in the EU it's just an example
                  Last edited by The Spartan; 11 July 2016, 13:04. Reason: additional info
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

It was a Times article.

Two are going to Germany - may be they will just hire a load of immigrants willing to work for peanuts so they do not starve.
                    FTFY

Which 2 by the way - I am genuinely interested in these things

Comment

FTFY

Which 2 by the way - I am genuinely interested in these things
                      If you are a Times subscriber you would know since I can't be bothered to look them up.

Comment

Working...
                      X