• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do - Landlord asking if we want to buy the house we are renting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Email directly telling them you've had a call from the letting agent.
    Tell them the truth - yes you'd like it, but you need to sell the other one first...
    WHTSHS - Was a landlord myself until recently and would have no problem waiting 6-months to sell direct. Must have spent £6k on fees, what a swizz. And despite popular believe I'm not made of money.

I'd only add you find yourself a solicitor (not affiliated with your letting agency), explain to him/her what you did to us.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Meh, what is the worse that can happen?
      Not for you, but for your landlord the letting agency could turn ugly. When I attempted to sell direct the letting agency claimed they found the tenant ergo the buyer and claimed 1.5% of the sale value. Of course I told them to take the high jump. But lo and behold it was in their contract. So to avoid this I let the tenant move out 'technically'. Point is get a solicitor! You've no idea how scummy those agents will get.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Not for you, but for your landlord the letting agency could turn ugly. When I attempted to sell direct the letting agency claimed they found the tenant ergo the buyer and claimed 1.5% of the sale value. Of course I told them to take the high jump. But lo and behold it was in their contract. So to avoid this I let the tenant move out 'technically'. Point is get a solicitor! You've no idea how scummy those agents will get.
        So the agent tried to claim a fee to which they were contractually entitled and you wriggled out of it. And they are the scummy ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          So the agent tried to claim a fee to which they were contractually entitled and you wriggled out of it. And they are the scummy ones?

Well, at least he may have got rid of that scummy flat
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            In what universe are they entitled to a share in the value of my property? I employed them to manage the letting of my property.

More flaw me for not reading through the 20+ pages of small print carefully enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Well, at least he may have got rid of that scummy flat
              Some English chap bought it. Desperate times I guess.

Comment

In what universe are they entitled to a share in the value of my property? I employed them to manage the letting of my property.

More flaw me for not reading through the 20+ pages of small print carefully enough.
                More fool you for not reading something that you signed, no?

Some English chap bought it. Desperate times I guess.
                Must be
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

In the universe of contract law and business.

Comment

The one where they found you the buyer of your property and where you signed a contract saying that if the tenant went on to buy the property you agreed to pay a 1.5% fee.

The fact you didn't read the contract and strike out clauses like that isn't their problem - it just confirms what a muppet you are.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      The one where they found you the buyer of your property and where you signed a contract saying that if the tenant went on to buy the property you agreed to pay a 1.5% fee.

The fact you didn't read the contract and strike out clauses like that isn't their problem - it just confirms what a muppet you are.
                      Oh nonsense. I asked them to manage the letting of my property. The clause was not even on the signed paperwork I had signed but in a booklet the later provided me with, which was referenced in the contract. They were chancers from the off.

Comment

Working...
                      X