• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EU learning the hard way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    where your belovedly efficient and humane EU commissioners welcome them all with open arms
    It is the British EU commissioner who is in charge of security and anti-terrorism.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Doesn't work like that I'm afraid. Britain's fault for having colonies in the past.
      Interesting. So people now must be punished for acts by our ancestors.

How far back can we go? Ancient Egyptian slavery? Islamic imperialism? The countless empires that predate "Britain"?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

How far back can we go? Ancient Egyptian slavery? Islamic imperialism? The countless empires that predate "Britain"?
        A big fat prehistoric ape like sub-human creature once thumped another one.

Must we all pay for MF's previous actions too?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

As far as it takes to fit the story, Rory
          "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
            As far as it takes to fit the story, Rory
            Careful - you're verging on 'bigotry' there. Wouldn't want you to get banned for expressing an idea that the mod doesn't like, or triggering a mod's tendency for projection (That's what bigotry means, FYI).

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Careful - you're verging on 'bigotry' there. Wouldn't want you to get banned for expressing an idea that the mod doesn't like, or triggering a mod's tendency for projection (That's what bigotry means, FYI).
              The Bigotry of our modern Politically Correct society is as we vacillate expressing itself in rivers of blood....

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                It is the British EU commissioner who is in charge of security and anti-terrorism.
                A sneaky little ploy by Juncker so that if anything goes wrong (as if it would ) the rest of Europe will blame Britain. Or am I being a tiny bit too cynical...?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  Ah the man without a dictionary is back.

The word bigot is a contraction of the phrase "By God, I'm right". Nothing to do with projection and everything to do with hating anyone who has a different view to you. It's a very isolationist standpoint, previously used in religious arguments, but seen in other areas too.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Ah the man without a dictionary is back.

The word bigot is a contraction of the phrase "By God, I'm right". Nothing to do with projection and everything to do with hating anyone who has a different view to you. It's a very isolationist standpoint, previously used in religious arguments, but seen in other areas too.
                    As with many things it depends upon which cup you sip from.

1590s, "sanctimonious person, religious hypocrite," from French bigot (12c.), which is of unknown origin. Earliest French use of the word is as the name of a people apparently in southern Gaul, which led to the now-doubtful, on phonetic grounds, theory that the word comes from Visigothus. The typical use in Old French seems to have been as a derogatory nickname for Normans, the old theory (not universally accepted) being that it springs from their frequent use of the Germanic oath bi God. But OED dismisses in a three-exclamation-mark fury one fanciful version of the "by god" theory as "absurdly incongruous with facts." At the end, not much is left standing except Spanish bigote "mustache," which also has been proposed but not explained, and the chief virtue of which as a source seems to be there is no evidence for or against it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      A sneaky little ploy by Juncker so that if anything goes wrong (as if it would ) the rest of Europe will blame Britain. Or am I being a tiny bit too cynical...?
                      Nah cos most of Europe doesn't know what their country's commissioner is responsible for.

Also the last one in head of something like finance resigned due to Brexit, so they put a British one in Security as even if we leave we are extremely likely to co-operate on that.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X