• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We is all fick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fronttoback View Post
    I'm not really into passive aggressive bullying thanks.
    Are you sure you are in the right place then?

But thanks for the tip!
    You are welcome.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I'm not really into passive aggressive bullying thanks.

But thanks for the tip!
      Best avoiding the General forum then.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        I was in the last year to do O-level, and I remember in year 2 of A-level my maths teacher complaining about the new influx of GCSE maths students starting A-level but being a long way behind we'd been after O-level.

But then I went to University (computing/electronics) and it seemed everything in the first year was rehasing stuff I already knew from A-level Maths or Physics.

Internationally we were probably all fick in 1989 too.
        I did Maths A-Level back in 92. We were told back then that the work involved to get three good A-Level results (BBB or better) would be the same amount of work that we'd do across three years to get a degree. Looking back, they were right. That said, I went to a grammar school's sixth form unit rather than a sixth form college so we may have been pushed harder.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          I did Maths A-Level back in 92. We were told back then that the work involved to get three good A-Level results (BBB or better) would be the same amount of work that we'd do across three years to get a degree. Looking back, they were right. That said, I went to a grammar school's sixth form unit rather than a sixth form college so we may have been pushed harder.
          Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I was in the last year to do O-level, and I remember in year 2 of A-level my maths teacher complaining about the new influx of GCSE maths students starting A-level but being a long way behind we'd been after O-level.

But then I went to University (computing/electronics) and it seemed everything in the first year was rehasing stuff I already knew from A-level Maths or Physics.

Internationally we were probably all fick in 1989 too.
          I did maths and further maths at a-level and got a grade A in one, so I was fairly handy with an abacus. I then went on to study maths as a joint honours subject at a top tier red brick uni in the early 90s.. and I really struggled with the maths. I found it a huge jump from a-level. I scraped through the maths but the top end kids waltzed through without trying. At that level in the top unis, success at maths is mostly aptitude not grind. The grinders don't get 1st class honours in maths (I exclude stats from this generalisation - since stats is fairly concrete, easy to grasp maths).

Comment

I did maths and further maths at a-level and got a grade A in one, so I was fairly handy with an abacus. I then went on to study maths as a joint honours subject at a top tier red brick uni in the early 90s.. and I really struggled with the maths. I found it a huge jump from a-level. I scraped through the maths but the top end kids waltzed through without trying. At that level in the top unis, success at maths is mostly aptitude not grind. The grinders don't get 1st class honours in maths (I exclude stats from this generalisation - since stats is fairly concrete, easy to grasp maths).
            You need A* A* A (A*s in maths/fmaths) to get into a top tier red brick for maths these days, so while the exams are no doubt easier you do have to absolutely nail them to get the results you need (90%+)

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
              You need A* A* A (A*s in maths/fmaths) to get into a top tier red brick for maths these days, so while the exams are no doubt easier you do have to absolutely nail them to get the results you need (90%+)
              If you happened to look at A level Maths books over the last 40 years you will see that some of the stuff has gone missing...
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                If you happened to look at A level Maths books over the last 40 years you will see that some of the stuff has gone missing...
                I dont make it a pastime but yes, while I was doing my easy peasy counting-to-ten maths A level we did look at past exam papers from the 1970s and 1980s and yes, they were very difficult. But in those days you only needed to get a B to get into a top university whereas now you need near perfect scores, if you get stumped on one question you're screwed

Comment

Working...
                X