• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lorry kills nine at Christmas market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    Britain did the same by creating or being largely involved in creating Afghanistan as a Putinesque buffer zone between the British Raj and the Russian Empire as was.

That went well...
    Afghanistan
    Ireland
    Israel
    Cyprus
    Pakistan/India

Did I miss any?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Afghanistan
      Ireland
      Israel
      Cyprus
      Pakistan/India

Did I miss any?
      The UK and its citizens should be paying reparations to all of these countries and opening its doors to refugees and economic migrants that are prepared to go to great lengths to get here. If a refugee is that committed to travelling here from say Sudan why would they not be a good employee and contribute to Britains economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainframe gent View Post
        The UK and its citizens should be paying reparations to all of these countries and opening its doors to refugees and economic migrants that are prepared to go to great lengths to get here. If a refugee is that committed to travelling here from say Sudan why would they not be a good employee and contribute to Britains economy.
        They will likely be poorly educated.
        They will likely not speak English
        They will likely not want to integrate into Britains culture

Other than that I cannot see a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

We cant take them unless we assimilate them fully. This costs money and people's time and we should be prepared to help them.

Comment

We cant take them unless we assimilate them fully. This costs money and people's time and we should be prepared to help them.
            True - an even more humanitarian thing to do would be to help them bring their country out of third world standards and into 2nd/1st world standards.

But strangely every time we try that it goes tits up because it means removing the incumbent despot

Comment

True - an even more humanitarian thing to do would be to help them bring their country out of third world standards and into 2nd/1st world standards.

But strangely every time we try that it goes tits up because it means removing the incumbent despot
              Exactly

If we can educate them and give them jobs they can return to their country and help bring about democracy. It does mean assimilating several million people.
              Education is the key so the EU should be funding the development of more and more teachers and healthcare professionals and export them around the world.
              It does however mean fully integrating everyone into society.

Comment

Mmmm.. however you want to polish the turd, turns out another asylum seeker slips through and strikes again
                "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

an even more humanitarian thing to do would be to help them bring their country out of third world standards and into 2nd/1st world standards
                  Agree. Our foreign aid should be properly targeted at helping them develop their own economies. Rigorous checks to ensure that whatever we give is likely to provide a real increase in their GD per capita. Unfortunately, most studies show that foreign aid to many countries does little or nothing. Chinese investment has done much more for Africa in recent years.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Another bleeding heart liberal.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Exactly

If we can educate them and give them jobs they can return to their country and help bring about democracy. It does mean assimilating several million people.
                      Education is the key so the EU should be funding the development of more and more teachers and healthcare professionals and export them around the world.
                      It does however mean fully integrating everyone into society.
                      Yeah great. Luckily our schools and hospitals are half empty. And there's vast amounts of land just waiting to be built on...

England is most crowded country in Europe - Telegraph
                      The number of people living in England has overtaken the population density of Holland, which has traditionally been the most densely-populated major nation on the continent.
                      The count, which has been attributed to higher levels of immigration, shows England now has 395 people per square kilometre

Comment

Working...
                      X