• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a 2nd hand car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    2010 old or because it's an older model?
    Older model, but if you are looking at a 6+ year old vehicle, the running costs and ongoing maintenance will have a bigger effect on your pocket than the depreciation from the purchase price.
    Tyres
    Oil
    Air Con
    Diffs/bearings/shocks
    DPF

If you are only using it for short runs, get a petrol, if the journeys are longer, go diesel. Do you need 4wd? If so, expect the tyre wear to be greater. Check the fuel economy differences, check the insurance costs.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Older model, but if you are looking at a 6+ year old vehicle, the running costs and ongoing maintenance will have a bigger effect on your pocket than the depreciation from the purchase price.
      Tyres
      Oil
      Air Con
      Diffs/bearings/shocks
      DPF

If you are only using it for short runs, get a petrol, if the journeys are longer, go diesel. Do you need 4wd? If so, expect the tyre wear to be greater. Check the fuel economy differences, check the insurance costs.
      Not really fussed about depreciation as I'm hoping to keep it for 10 yrs at which point I'll be happy if I get anything for it.

How much do you guys pay for servicing on a yearly basis?

Insurance is high as I've got no NCB so doesn't matter too much what I get

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        Any advice on buying a 2nd hand car? Most likely will buy from a trade seller. In case anyone cares it's not a Porsche, going for a XC90 to fit all the damn kids.
        Build your own out of Lego....

Comment

We were loaned an xc90 when our ML needed some work done to it. Compared to the Mercedes V6 engines the xc90 sounds like a loud crappy tractor. I'd stick with an MPV. Also If you are inside a city I would not expect to keep any car that long as the emissions regs are going to get you off the road long before the car dies.

Yes mini vans are crap but you should have thought about that before you tried to pop a football team out of your wife

Comment

Originally posted by maccas99 View Post
            The running costs are far higher that the MPV style vehicles listed above - high mileage T5 models have potentially ruinous levels of bills for replacement parts when things go wrong.
            I can only but agree with this. I bought a 3 year old XC90 in 2012 for the wife to ferry the kids about in. Think I paid 17.5k. I'd estimate since then it's cost me another 10k at least with various bits needing replacing over the years.

Comment

I'd estimate since then it's cost me another 10k at least with various bits needing replacing over the years.
              I'd guess at such a low figure one of those wasn't the wife
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'd guess at such a low figure one of those wasn't the wife
                I excluded the fact that she's also rear ended someone with it and given it racing stripes on both sides whilst pulling over allowing others to pass on a single track road.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  I excluded the fact that she's also rear ended someone with it and given it racing stripes on both sides whilst pulling over allowing others to pass on a single track road.
                  That's not a euphemism is it?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                    I can only but agree with this. I bought a 3 year old XC90 in 2012 for the wife to ferry the kids about in. Think I paid 17.5k. I'd estimate since then it's cost me another 10k at least with various bits needing replacing over the years.

Maybe I should go for an MPV

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      The wife fancies a Mercedes Vito next time, not quite a minibus and with 9 seats most people can drive it. Very popular with Taxi drivers apparently.

New Mercedes Vito Tourer 2015 review | Auto Express

Its a Merc so reassuringly expensive.
                      Sorry mate, need a D1 licence for anything over 8 seats
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X