• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crazy things that put you off buying a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    A house adjoining a cemetery fair enough, or one with a dank north facing garden, but to me it makes absolutely no sense to turn your nose up (literally) at a property just because of a nasty niff if it ticks all your boxes otherwise.

Within reason, the same goes for a property in need of redecoration and even renovation. In fact you'll probably get more for your money if you compromise a bit on that.

Buyers who insist on perfection are generally little short of idiots IMHO (unless they have practical reasons for not wanting to or being able to make any improvements, although it's hard to imagine any besides perhaps an elderly buyer who might be distressed by disruption or someone who will have no spare cash for a long time after the purchase).
    I did actually put in an offer but it was turned down.

It was advertised with a guide price & apparently that means (so said the agent) that offers weren't being accepted. She wanted what she was asking.
    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 11 January 2017, 18:31.

Comment

A property is only worth what someone will pay for it. I suspect that seller isn't in a hurry to move so is holding out for what they want, not what the market will pay.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        A house adjoining a cemetery fair enough, or one with a dank north facing garden, but to me it makes absolutely no sense to turn your nose up (literally) at a property just because of a nasty niff if it ticks all your boxes otherwise.
        Just a word of warning here - my first rental was off a friend of a friend who had moved out. They, apparently, were not the cleanest and seemed to have the same problem with cats and dogs. We figured it just needed emptying (it was an unfurnished rental, so they just left the cooker) and a clean. It was laminate floor throughout and we cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned and it was just about tolerable but was always "there". I'd never buy a house like that unless I was planning a complete renovation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
          What's yours? I'm so fussy, there are certain things I just can't see past.

I have a friend who can walk into a hovel and vizualise exactly how it'll look once she's worked her magic.

I only have to see an artex ceiling and I'm out.

But the thing that really gets me (and yes, I know it's completely irrational) is to walk into an otherwise flawless property to find that it's inhabited by a mad cat woman.

I don't know if it's the bowls of kit-e-kat and trays of cat litter in the bedrooms, just the idea of cats in themselves (they are evil), or the nutty cows that own them.

I mean, it's only a short step from mad catwomanness to witchcraft & I don't want to live in a house that's cursed.

So, I always ask the agent first before I go to view.

Anyone got any weird property foibles?
          I only have two:

1. "buying"
          2. "a house"

Can't be bothered to be a prisoner of the damn thing paying for it through the nose and having to fix the roof, mow the freaking lawn, or take care of the garden. I'd rather spend that money on theatre tickets and nice clothes.
          You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Just a word of warning here - my first rental was off a friend of a friend who had moved out. They, apparently, were not the cleanest and seemed to have the same problem with cats and dogs. We figured it just needed emptying (it was an unfurnished rental, so they just left the cooker) and a clean. It was laminate floor throughout and we cleaned, and cleaned and cleaned and it was just about tolerable but was always "there". I'd never buy a house like that unless I was planning a complete renovation.
            If it has a whiff you rip everything out. You don't just clean it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              If it has a whiff you rip everything out. You don't just clean it.
              +1
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                I did actually put in an offer but it was turned down.

It was advertised with a guide price & apparently that means (so said the agent) that offers weren't being accepted. She wanted what she was asking.
                Guide price is Offers in the region of, not in the excess of. More estate agent guff.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X