Brexit Bill expected tomorrow. Brexit Bill expected tomorrow. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 48 of 48
  1. #41

    Super poster

    GB9 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mainly on a train
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Yes, UK tax on dividends paid by UK companies, why can't it be taken at source regardless of where shareholder is living? That would be fair - making money from UK company, then pay some tax, however the system only very heavily now taxes those who choose to stay in country, and allowing those who have fooked off to pay 0%, or just make shareholder a company in Isle of Man and collect the money as you please later.

    Obviously UK Govt is choosing to fook over locals because they ain't got anywhere to go, which will be especially true after Brexit.
    The companies have already paid tax themselves. Paying a tax on the dividend at source would effectively be more tax on the company.

    The tax on the dividend to individuals is because it is part of their income. That's how tax works in this country.

  2. #42

    Banned

    Bee is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    People who have liquid assets that don't lose a lot of value overnight (ie shares) will be able to make a lot of money from Brexit.

    sasguru will double or maybe even triple his wealth, enough to have a nice retirement in Portugal, living like a King in a nice mansion...
    Hey, hang on.....whaattt!!!

  3. #43

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GB9 View Post
    The companies have already paid tax themselves. Paying a tax on the dividend at source would effectively be more tax on the company.

    The tax on the dividend to individuals is because it is part of their income. That's how tax works in this country.
    Tax on company profits and tax on dividends are different things - if company reinvests profits then there is no extra tax, if not then why not take tax from declared dividends regardless who is the shareholder? This way big loophole of using offshore company is closed dead

  4. #44

    Super poster

    GB9 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mainly on a train
    Posts
    3,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Tax on company profits and tax on dividends are different things - if company reinvests profits then there is no extra tax, if not then why not take tax from declared dividends regardless who is the shareholder? This way big loophole of using offshore company is closed dead
    Offshoring is primarily used by individuals, not companies.

    Companies tend to use profit transfer which is slowly being caught up with.

    If you receive dividends then you have to meet the tax implications as it is your personal income and no-one else's. You pay tax according to the jurisdiction in which you are deemed resident at the time. If you're in the UK then you are subject to UK tax law.

  5. #45

    Super poster

    GB9 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mainly on a train
    Posts
    3,060

    Default PM for SASGURU

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    People who have liquid assets that don't lose a lot of value overnight (ie shares) will be able to make a lot of money from Brexit.

    sasguru will double or maybe even triple his wealth, enough to have a nice retirement in Portugal, living like a King in a nice mansion...
    sasguru triples his wealth and buys a castle in Portugal.

    Bee, watch out. He's coming for you!!!

  6. #46

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GB9 View Post
    Offshoring is primarily used by individuals, not companies.

    Companies tend to use profit transfer which is slowly being caught up with.

    If you receive dividends then you have to meet the tax implications as it is your personal income and no-one else's. You pay tax according to the jurisdiction in which you are deemed resident at the time. If you're in the UK then you are subject to UK tax law.
    I know how it is, I am talking about how it should be - tax on dividends should be taken regardless of where shareholder is located, double taxation agreements will allow them to offset this tax, the only people who will be fooked are those who used offshore companies - which is nice.

    This would help reduce overall dividend tax rate

  7. #47

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    29,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    I know how it is, I am talking about how it should be - tax on dividends should be taken regardless of where shareholder is located, double taxation agreements will allow them to offset this tax, the only people who will be fooked are those who used offshore companies - which is nice.

    This would help reduce overall dividend tax rate
    Write to Philip Hammond and suggest it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  8. #48

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Write to Philip Hammond and suggest it.
    I would have better result writing to Putin and asking him to turn himself into Hague

    Also I don't like begging (ok to whine though)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •