• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    What if you turn up and mumble in court that it seems very borderline to you, show your courier delivery contract that says you must drive at at least the speed limit, your client / employer turns up with the package collection and drop off time records that show your average speed was in excess of the speed limit, and your Back to Work Adviser gives a statement that you also broke the journey to sign on as well? Hypothetically of course.
    well if you turn up with an organisation like QDOS it seems they shout out loud you are innocent such that you seem to have a 0.002% chance of being convicted.

The Client will say what they want and what is easy for them the decision makes no difference to them - maybe it should?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      well if you turn up with an organisation like QDOS it seems they shout out loud you are innocent such that you seem to have a 0.002% chance of being convicted.

The Client will say what they want and what is easy for them the decision makes no difference to them - maybe it should?
      People get off or reduced speeding convicts for turning up with decent lawyers, so it's not surprising the same happens in other areas of law.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Only if they get some say in the determination in the first place. Which is partly why we are where we are.

Comment

There is always a risk that the client misunderstands the situation or doesn't care, when a client employee who doesn't know the contractor or project gives a statement.

In PC's case, the risk is that the client tells it exactly like it is.

Comment

Indeed but what we don't know is what they were defending. If borderline cases make up just a few of all the cases then there could be a much higher failure rate for those types of cases.

And you might not get convicted but you've got 3 years of fighting to go through. Better to be not borderline and shut the whole thing down at the first letter.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Anyone who takes the bulk of their company income as dividends is 'abusing' the system. abusing
              Not this nonsense again.

Anyone who takes the bulk of their company income as dividends is following the advice given to them by a tax professional, i.e. their accountant, who they are paying to prepare their accounts and maximise the amount that they can extract from revenue.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Yep just me. If the ewe had lambs I'd get the blame!
              FTFY. Ahem...
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                Say again!?!

Dividend tax + corporation tax = HMRC is doing alright.
                So take all your income as salary then if it's not avoiding you any tax

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Not this nonsense again.

Anyone who takes the bulk of their company income as dividends is following the advice given to them by a tax professional, i.e. their accountant, who they are paying to prepare their accounts and maximise the amount that they can extract from revenue.

FTFY. Ahem...
                Well duh, I do this like the rest of you. A bit like how claiming benefits is legal.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well duh, I do this like the rest of you. A bit like how claiming benefits is legal.
                  Deary me.
                  I could eat a can of alphabet soup and crap out a better argument than that.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      But this is the problem PC. You yourself say borderline. Even with people that think they are slam dunk inside there is a big argument and a length investigation. You saying your are borderline means HMRC will see you bang inside. As. Soon as D&C is proven at any level then you are done. Not borderline, might be, a little bit. It's proven and HMRC have a massive upper hand.

We see just the facts you post without trying to sugar coat it. I think it's a pretty good assumption that your are pretty much inside if you think you are borderline.

Not understand MoO properly and doing a mix of BAU adds to this assumption.
                      As a defence - do you not have to "prove" (any) one of the "three pillars" rather than Hector having to "dis-prove" just one of them?

Comment

Working...
                      X