• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer industry 'faces crisis'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He must be utter rubbish, they were begging for members last I heard....

Comment

Seriously though......

Prof Shadbolt said there was increasing demand but decreasing supply of graduates in computer science http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6155998.stm
      hmmm, presumably not a Grauniad reader, especially not as recently as August 14th 2006:

Graduates with degrees in computer science had the highest unemployment rate, with nearly 11% thought to be not working or studying http://money.guardian.co.uk/work/sto...844427,00.html
      TW*T

Comment

Current Number 1 in Have Your Say

I thank yew!
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by doug_walters
          hmmm, presumably not a Grauniad reader, especially not as recently as August 14th 2006:

TW*T
          It's because they are useless... They come from UNI knowing next to nothing.. A project you need to do in a Year at Uni, is a two week job in real life.. then move on to somethign else... Uni education is rubbish, buy some proper books from Borders and learn proper stuff.

( bigoted view, but provocative )
          To be or not to be... or get someone else to be, and take the slack for it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            BCS == IET (IEE that was) == Ivory Towers full of academics with no relation to the real world at all...
            Don't forget the double barrelled names, plummy accents and bow ties.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

"The Last One"

I'll tell ya we are all doomed read this. I'm sure our resident lizzard can appeciate how this technology will send us all to the unemployment queue.
              Suddenly, programming languages seem a little irrelevant since this system will chomp out bug-free programs on receipt of a program design. Of course, in order that people understand the programs produced, they are listed in Basic
              The design of The Last One allows it to be run on almost any computer from an HP 41C to, presumably, the biggest Cray. David does all his development work on an Ohio C3C with 96k memory, two terminals, a 23Mb hard Winchester disk - shortly to be up-graded to 74Mb - and twin 8in floppies for security purposes.
              At the moment, he is concentrating his efforts on getting the system running on a PET both disk- and tape-based, and under CP/M. Within a matter of months the current version of the system should be available for all the popular machines. Of course, cassette and floppy based systems wonÕt run quite as quickly as the Ohio system but even then, the speed will be many many times faster than hand coding.
              Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
                and twin 8in floppies.
                Seen that vid. Very disturbing.

Comment

Starter for 10

Ask one of these new "computer science" graduates what they think of Dr. Knuths work. Don't be surprised by the blank looks.

A good one for a laugh, if they go on about enterprise applications: ask them to discuss the application of Markov chains...

The reason there is a lack of decent computer science graduates is plain to see, the courses are crap, and the output is poor: mainly due to the quality of the educators.

GIGO is what they used to call it when I were a lad.

Now if they were going to replace some New Lie ministers and senior uncivil servants with FTVs that may be a good start.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I hope you will save us from doom before it's too late threaded...

Comment

To paraphrase an earlier post... the government looks at the market locally, then, encouraged by donors from 'big business', seeks a solution globally...

Imagine if we were in a position to say.. 'there are a lack of skilled politicians in the UK, therefore, we should immediately encourage people from other countries who claim to be qualified to move here and compete with an MP, and if you don't select them expect to pay out under the 'human rights' legislation.
                      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                      X