• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lib Dems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Yeah, the 70's were so much better. We should have let Scargill & co run the country, think how much better off we'd be now.

You are so naive...the recessions were caused by Labour (with a little help from the Unions, who insisted everyone was always on strike. And if you believe the Falklands was both a debacle and some sort of election stunt, you are so f**king deluded I doubt there's any sort of medication strong enough to help you.
    ....and the best is one is leaving the EU was an election gag as well.

That's the icing on the cake.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Maggie did get re-elected due to the Falklands.
      And rightly so.

the Falklands are under the sovereign protection of the UK and were invaded by a foreign power.

We did what we had to to stop that invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        No - I mean the Pupil Premium grant which gives money to the school for children who are eligible for free school meals, or are looked after children, or who have parents in the armed forces or have done in previous years.

So, the school gets £1320 per pupil in R-Y6 who have been recorded as eligible for FSM in the past six years (the so-called Ever FSM measure), £935 per pupil in year 7-11 that matches that criteria, £1900 for a LAC, and £300 per child in R-Y11 recorded as an Ever 6 Service child.

It has nothing to do with traveller children or any specific racial demographic, so probably has nothing to do with whatever you're talking about happening at that school - you will be able to read what they spent their PP money on on their website, though.
        Actually it did, surprisingly the lowly paid travellers and the recent arrivals qualified on earnings.

The Coalition Government introduced the Pupil Premium in 2011 to provide additional
        school funding for those children classed as having deprived backgrounds, and also those
        who had been looked after (by a local authority) for more than six months. In addition,
        the Service Premium was introduced for children whose parent(s) are, or have since 2011,
        served in the armed forces.
        Since their introduction, changes have been made to the eligibility criteria and the funding
        levels of the premiums. The Pupil Premium has increased from £430 per pupil in 2011–12,
        to £1,320 per primary pupil and £935 per secondary pupil in 2016-17 (in 2014-15 the
        Government introduced different Pupil Premium rates for primary and secondary pupils).
        In addition, while eligible looked after children previously attracted the same Pupil
        Premium as deprived children, in 2014-15 the “Pupil Premium Plus” was introduced. For
        2014-15 and 2015-16 current or certain previously looked after children each attracted
        £1,900 of funding. The eligibility criteria for the Service Premium have been broadened
        since 2011-12 and the rate has increased from £200 to £300.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They aren't the only groups you get extra money for.

Oh and around my way immigrant children help boast a schools results. Schools without sufficient immigrants do badly as it seems certain more established groups have lazy parents.
          Not the only ones but in our area they are a significant proportion.

Some cultures do really well but not all but a nice broad race based swipe is always welcome.

The issue here was one school who manged it incorrectly, over did the intake then went into special measures. The only change in an established school was the Intake. The travellers dragged down the attendance and the English as a secondary language meant the teaching suffered.

4 years later after a complete change of management and turning into an Academy its back up.

Now if they had taken 10% of special children then they would probably have been fine.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Maggie did get re-elected due to the Falklands.
            I'm not suggesting that didn't help her public perception (it doesn't always work though, Churchill "won" WWII, and still got absolutely trounced in 1945). I'm simply challenging the inference that when Argentina invaded British sovereign territory, Maggie thought to herself "hey, if I win this war, I can hold an early election and batter Labour".
            Mister Bates seems to have forgotten that Labour was led by Michael Foot (very much the Corbyn of his day, nice chap but you wouldn't want him in charge of the tombola at your local village fete, let alone the whole bloody country). The Labour Manifesto in 1983 was famously described as "the longest suicide note in history" by the late Gerald Kaufman. He was right. Labour were completely unelectable - how times have changed...not.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              ....and the best is one is leaving the EU was an election gag as well.

That's the icing on the cake.

You really are a plum aren't you. We are leaving the EU as the result of a democratic vote. Now, I reckon that's confused you even more...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I'm not suggesting that didn't help her public perception (it doesn't always work though, Churchill "won" WWII, and still got absolutely trounced in 1945). I'm simply challenging the inference that when Argentina invaded British sovereign territory, Maggie thought to herself "hey, if I win this war, I can hold an early election and batter Labour".
                Churchill promised a return to the past while Labour promised a bright new future with a welfare state including the NHS so it isn't surprising he lost.

Anyway Maggie was intelligent enough to always take advantage of circumstances until the late 80s. She also polished her image and was clever enough to choose a wardrobe that matched photo opportunities which is why Blair was her heir.

Mister Bates seems to have forgotten that Labour was led by Michael Foot (very much the Corbyn of his day, nice chap but you wouldn't want him in charge of the tombola at your local village fete, let alone the whole bloody country). The Labour Manifesto in 1983 was famously described as "the longest suicide note in history" by the late Gerald Kaufman. He was right. Labour were completely unelectable - how times have changed...not.
                Unfortunately politicians haven't learnt - " Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You really are a plum aren't you. We are leaving the EU as the result of a democratic vote. Now, I reckon that's confused you even more...
                  Actually he's pointing to the mimic of Blair, Camoron's, gamble on saying he was going to hold a referendum. Camoron didn't think he would get an outright majority so could blame the Lib Dems or whoever for not being able to hold a referendum.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Isn't just easier to conclude all politicians are self serving lying opportunistic scum, no matter the political affiliation or leaning?
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      Isn't just easier to conclude all politicians are self serving lying opportunistic scum, no matter the political affiliation or leaning?
                      It probably is. Some are worse than others, but "politics" isn't considered a dirty word (on this forum at least, especially when preceded by "office") for nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X