Royal Mail dangerous goods process Royal Mail dangerous goods process
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,385

    Default Royal Mail dangerous goods process

    So, I screwed up and sent something I shouldn't have in the post. It's not going to blow anyone up but one element of a parcel of things isn't allowed to be posted (even though I received it in the post, but hey ho).

    According to the tracking, it was flagged as being dangerous on 29 April at Stansted airport. I've phoned up a couple of times since then and just get told "no update on the examination yet". I know you can't rush something serious like a check for nasties in the post but there must be some kind of defined time frame in which these things should get assessed?

    What also concerns me is the fate of the rest of the parcel. One person said the whole lot will get destroyed. Another said that, if the offending element is separate (it is), they will remove it and either forward the remainder on to the intended recipient or return it to me. I'm hoping for the latter as the offending item is only worth £24, the rest is worth considerably more. However, I won't know what decision they will take and whether I'll get any kind of appeal option to save the rest of the contents.

    Has anyone been as silly as me and been in this situation? What happened to your stuff?

  2. #2

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    So, I screwed up and sent something I shouldn't have in the post. It's not going to blow anyone up but one element of a parcel of things isn't allowed to be posted (even though I received it in the post, but hey ho).

    According to the tracking, it was flagged as being dangerous on 29 April at Stansted airport. I've phoned up a couple of times since then and just get told "no update on the examination yet". I know you can't rush something serious like a check for nasties in the post but there must be some kind of defined time frame in which these things should get assessed?

    What also concerns me is the fate of the rest of the parcel. One person said the whole lot will get destroyed. Another said that, if the offending element is separate (it is), they will remove it and either forward the remainder on to the intended recipient or return it to me. I'm hoping for the latter as the offending item is only worth £24, the rest is worth considerably more. However, I won't know what decision they will take and whether I'll get any kind of appeal option to save the rest of the contents.

    Has anyone been as silly as me and been in this situation? What happened to your stuff?
    Ask Brillo. His correspondence to HMRC is now routinely screened.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  3. #3

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    ... Has anyone been as silly as me and been in this situation? What happened to your stuff?
    Does the phrase "controlled explosion" ring any bells?

    Out of interest, what was this dangerous stuff?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  4. #4

    Godlike

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    So, I screwed up and sent something I shouldn't have in the post...
    The mind boggles, what is the item?
    Brexiteers remind me of religious fanatics, only faith, no facts.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    ladymuck is a fount of knowledge

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Does the phrase "controlled explosion" ring any bells?

    Out of interest, what was this dangerous stuff?
    Exactly what I'm hoping to avoid for the rest of the parcel's contents.

    A capsule of inert (noble) gas

  6. #6

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Exactly what I'm hoping to avoid for the rest of the parcel's contents.

    A capsule of inert (noble) gas
    What isotopes?
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  7. #7

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,730

    Default

    If it's inert they'll have problems blowing it up.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    MrMarkyMark is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,973

    Default

    Post office, eh?

    Glad this arrived safe and sound this morning


  9. #9

    Godlike

    barrydidit is a fount of knowledge

    barrydidit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    at the end of my tether
    Posts
    7,597

    Default

    Got a meeting with a pimp or summat?

  10. #10

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,730

    Default

    California Custom?
    Popular with the ladies.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •