• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London Tower Block Inferno

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    No they are not. They are obliged to go either:

a) with the lowest price that meet specification / requirements, or
    b) with the most economically advantageous quote (value for money)

...unless something has changed recently.
    Nothing wrong with that, but the regulations need to be up to date. Airlines do the same but there are stringent regulations to make sure their planes are safe.

In hindsight we know the cladding is highly flammable but I very much doubt anyone at the Contractor knew that, they just ordered cladding and checked it satisfied the fire regulations. They would assume having gone through the regulations check, that they'd done their job.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Now there's an ambiguous statement.
      I heard it on the radio and then found a link with pictures.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Seeing the news now, seems to be kicking off at the Town Hall - London fire: Fire protesters storm town hall - BBC News
        Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Agreed. However alot of thickos will blame the Tories.
          And the Daily Express blames the EU...

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Stupidity knows no bounds.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            And the Daily Express blames the EU...

Comment

Looks like Khan has been promising too much

Grenfell Tower: results of fire investigation may not be published for years
              https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ublished-years
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                So Class O is as good as it gets?

Linky

"What is the difference between Class 1 and Class II ?

Both are classifications of the surface spread of flame test (BS 476 part 7). They refer to the degree of flame spread on an ignited panel 900mm x 230mm cut from a laminate. The panel is exposed at right angles to a radiant panel to reproduce the effect of a fire on an adjoining wall or ceiling. It is ignited at the hotter end and allowed to burn for 10 minutes. Flame spread is measured along a line 75mm from the base.

A Class 1 rating is given if the spread of flame is no greater than 165mm

A Class II rating is given if the spread of flame is no greater than 215mm in the first 1½ minutes and on overall spread of no more than 455mm.
                What is Class 0 ?

Class 0 is a Building Regulations rating and not a British Standard Classification. To attain Class 0, a sample must meet Class 1 for spread of flame and also meet the fire propagation requirements of BS476 Part 6. (Hence we quote Class 1/0 as our product meets both criteria).
                The Part 6 test was introduced because investigations into the growth of building fires showed that spread of flame was not the only significant factor. Fire propagation (or the amount of heat added to a fire by the energy output of burning materials) was also an important consideration."
                Mentioned this in Post 57. It was the cheapest option. It always is.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Breaking news - Theresa May met some survivors in a hospital. She spent under an hour there. link
                  That's because she only has the mental capacity to be briefed to speak without back up for about 13 minutes. Not a "On her feet thinker". She's a disgrace.

She can't even answer questions. "Strong and Safe". Yeah. Right.

Comment

In the cold light of day:

The country doesn't really have any stocks of materiel in place any more for disasters such as this. We used to, for example the Red Cross used to store huge amounts of clothing, blankets, storable food, medical supplies etc. But over time, this stuff gets past it's sell by date, the storage costs huge amounts of money to maintain, there has to be logistical checking done etc. We haven't in truth really needed it since WW2 I'd argue, so it's not done any more.

In fact the last one I'm aare of was pn the IoW. When I built the Sainsbury's there we had to move the local Red Cross. All of their stock of emergency supplies went in a skip, times have changed.

So when it does happen, we the people, the country, the council, the Government are dealing with something that's not happened possibly in living memory. Any emergency plans we might have had are out of date. They won't have been updated for years, not enough funding...

Logistically, we don't have "Disaster recovery stocks" in hidden warehouses that can be rolled out immediately. I don't think so anyway. Please prove me wrong?

So: Not 4 days on why, really, are people attacking the Government, the council for not reacting quickly enough? The media. They are not doing us any favours. I'm sat watching TV now, and all the papers are after May's blood. Sorry, please focus on what is needed here, politics isn't what the game is right now. It's compassion, help, practicalities.

You all know I have deep reservations about May. But FFS PLEASE give her a chance to get her act together. Logistically a lot of kit has been sent there. There's no place to store it. There's no way of knowing who needs it because the lists of people needing help aren't out there yet. It takes time. 4 days isn't a massive time frame. The access to bank accounts is hopeless, most of them lost everything, how can they be identified? How do they know the people turning up for help are actually from Grenfell? Do they hand out to anyone who turns up?

Why are they concentrating on the cladding? We know it was the wrong choice. Stop the harranguing and sort out the problem directly in front of us. One step at a time. Pull together for the immediate issue.
                    Last edited by Lost It; 18 June 2017, 09:07.

Comment

@Lost It the reason the authorities are being slated is because people donated but no one official was there to help organise sorting the donations out, to synchronise the volunteers and to direct people to temporary accommodation. In this country we have volunteers who do things like search and rescue, and life boat rescue. However there is always one paid person who manages it.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X