• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should DNA tests be routine?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    similar arguments could be made against a census.

Unfortunately bad people will use whatever is available.

That's why we shouldn't have random DNA because suddenly those with a genetic disorder would be unable to get insurance.
    Legislation can prevent insurance companies from taking it into consideration. Already happens in some jurisdictions - not sure about UK.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Legislation can prevent insurance companies from taking it into consideration. Already happens in some jurisdictions - not sure about UK.
      hmm you believe that?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

hmm you believe that?
        I believe that my recent life assurance application did not include any space for genetic test results and the form specifically advised me not to include them in accordance with current legislation.

What do you believe?

Comment

I believe that my recent life assurance application did not include any space for genetic test results and the form specifically advised me not to include them in accordance with current legislation.

What do you believe?
          I believe if they become routine then they will form part of insurance decisions in the future. This is the same as many other methods the insurance industry uses to target us.

They may be excluded at present but its a Pandora's box.

Comment

I believe if they become routine then they will form part of insurance decisions in the future. This is the same as many other methods the insurance industry uses to target us.

I don't doubt the insurance industry's desire to segment the market. But why shouldn't legislation continue to control this?

Comment

I don't doubt the insurance industry's desire to segment the market. But why shouldn't legislation continue to control this?
              Just been filling out a fairly tortuous rental reference that asked for everything but a full DNA profile, and of course at the end it says if you fail we won't give you any information why.

Which is the problem. If they won't tell you why they refuse your insurance, or charge you much more, how are you going to know?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Just been filling out a fairly tortuous rental reference that asked for everything but a full DNA profile, and of course at the end it says if you fail we won't give you any information why.

Which is the problem. If they won't tell you why they refuse your insurance, or charge you much more, how are you going to know?
                If they are not allowed to ask for genetic tests and have to specifically declare that you are not to submit them, they have no data on which to base charging and refusal decisions.

Comment

If they are not allowed to ask for genetic tests and have to specifically declare that you are not to submit them, they have no data on which to base charging and refusal decisions.
                  They do if they get it from some national database, which I thought was the issue.

In fact it could be worse than that, as they could get data from the national database from someone with the same surname as you, for example, even though you're not actually related. It may be illegal, but how would anyone know?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Unfortunately the Government & ABI have a different opinion of this

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-...netic-testing/

The Concordat and Moratorium on Genetics and Insurance has been updated to reflect
                    the agreement’s extension until 2019.
                    from the Concordat

. customers making relevant insurance applications will be required to disclose a
                    predictive genetic test result only if all of the following apply;
                    i. the customer is seeking insurance cover above the financial limits set out
                    in the Moratorium;
                    ii. the test has been assessed by a panel of experts and approved by
                    Government. To date, the only test that people are required to disclose
                    under the agreement is for Huntington’s Disease for life insurance where
                    the insured sum is over £500,000. Any change to the list of approved
                    tests would be notified on the ABI and Department of Health1 websites
                    iii. the insurer asks the customer to disclose the information.

Comment

You're right, although it sounds more like a Sword of Damocles.
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 4 July 2017, 14:25.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X