• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stressful week and what a morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    FTFY
    If partner is not working, and actively looking for work (thats the important bit), then assuming they have paid NI in the past two years then they are elligible for contribution based JSA. Of course, if you're working she'd have no chance of income based JSA.

Of course, if you're both not working, you can both claim JSA, and a raft of other benefits if you have children especially.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      If partner is not working, and actively looking for work (thats the important bit), then assuming they have paid NI in the past two years then they are elligible for contribution based JSA. Of course, if you're working she'd have no chance of income based JSA.

Of course, if you're both not working, you can both claim JSA, and a raft of other benefits if you have children especially.
      Do you have to declare your Jeremy Kyle appearance fees to the dole office?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        My mate Colin's wife didn't work. He had three kids in private education. He used to say he worked until September every year just to cover the school bills. He always had enough money to last about two weeks and was always having to pay the Revenue in instalments after his accounts went in. However he's been contracting for about twenty years and managed to avoid downtime in the main. The kids have gone now and he's getting flush.

So you can defy gravity.
        When does he get his quadruple bypass?
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Get the missus to go to work or take the kids out of private school. If for some reason you (or she) think that she shouldn't work and earn money, then you're going to have to take your kids out of private school
          Next, sign up to a home finance course or speak to professional advisors - maybe at your local bank - and learn to save rather than spend everything.
          I got a real thing about that. Friends of ours got no kids at home - all grown up. They weren't flush by any means before.

She decided she was going to quit. So now they're pretty skint. No more holidays etc. So he goes to work, she stays in bed until midday and swans around all day lunching, going to the gym, making them more skint spending money etc.

Sod that - no way would I put up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by pangeakiller View Post
            We had taken some fairly large dividends to settle some past debts hoping that the client co would renew the contract for eternity. After all thats how contracting works right?
            No
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I got a real thing about that. Friends of ours got no kids at home - all grown up. They weren't flush by any means before.

She decided she was going to quit. So now they're pretty skint. No more holidays etc. So he goes to work, she stays in bed until midday and swans around all day lunching, going to the gym, making them more skint spending money etc.

Sod that - no way would I put up with that.
              How does your Mrs feel about these lazy dossers who just lie around all day, not working, skiving off the state?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Stressful week and what a morning

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                How does your Mrs feel about these lazy contractors who just lie around all day, not working, skiving off the client? Posting tulip on CUK?
                FTFY
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  How does your Mrs feel about these lazy dossers who just lie around all day, not working, skiving off the state?
                  Ha ha

Comment

Ha ha
                    if someone wants to send their kids to private school thats their choice it isnt for you to question this.

not all men want their oh working and its nothing to do with being stuck in the 1950s

Comment

Originally posted by Montyuk View Post
                      if someone wants to send their kids to private school thats their choice it isnt for you to question this.

not all men want their oh working and its nothing to do with being stuck in the 1950s
                      There's nothing wrong with OHs not working, and there's nothing wrong with sending kids to private school, but if you then want to complain about having no money, well you have to look at ways of either reducing your spending or increasing your income (or both).
                      That's basic economics, but is lost on some who want a solution that doesn't affect their current lifestyle.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X