Staff shortages pushing up wages... Staff shortages pushing up wages... - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 51

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Logic fail yourself, if Sainsbury's is raising wages to stop people leaving (because of wages) quite clearly wages are increasing across the market.
    Nope.

Aldi and Lidl always paid their staff more than the other supermarkets but their jobs are harder as the staff have to do more.

However you can't work at a Lidl if there isn't one in your town.

As both supermarkets are opening new stores this is the actual threat to the better established supermarkets in terms of losing staff.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by filthy1980 View Post
    because I'm fortunate enough that my skills / labour command slightly more than £100 p/d

of course I could do it myself but losing hundreds of £ per day to save one isn't exactly financially prudent

but you're a savvy investor you would know that already
    £220 for today so £100 sounds cheap.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Fingers like lightning

filthy1980 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    £220 for today so £100 sounds cheap.
    for 1 or 2 days work I could understand a high rate but this was a whole house with fresh plaster, was trying to sell them on the "project" barstewards weren't having any of it

Nervous Newbie

Nesako has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by filthy1980 View Post
    range of quotes - £8400 - £1500
    (based on about 10 quotations)

even the migrant labour wanted £2000 for 20 days decorating work, £100 p/d isn't bad but I'm skint
    I have a British decorator re-painting my house today. I pay £160 per day and this is on par with other rates around (Edinburgh). I am happy to pay this since he did a good job so far...

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

Aldi and Lidl always paid their staff more than the other supermarkets but their jobs are harder as the staff have to do more.

As both supermarkets are opening new stores this is the actual threat to the better established supermarkets in terms of losing staff.
    The horror of businesses that pay better wages coming to a town near you!

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope.

Yup higher productivity, that's the only way you can pay more in a sustainable way. Some Brexiteers think simply by sending the foreigners home will raise their wage. This is of course "poppycock". If it were the case Zimbabwe would have the highest wages in the world.

I'm alright Jack

Godlike

PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Yup higher productivity, that's the only way you can pay more in a sustainable way. Some Brexiteers think simply by sending the foreigners home will raise their wage. This is of course "poppycock". If it were the case Zimbabwe would have the highest wages in the world.

What about a more equitable distribution of corporate profit?

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

noooo that is far too reasonable!!
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Yes the right-wing Brexiter Tories like Jacob Rees-Mogg and the rest really, really want more equitable distribution of profit
    There is no doubt whatsoever that Brexit will reduce the overall number of jobs in the UK - question is by how much....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

You will find that most of the income from any company actually goes to the employees. The "profit" actually gets ploughed back into the business to ensure it grows. The computer that you work in the office is actually bought out of the "profit". People wrongly think that profit sits in rich people's bank accounts. The only money you can distribute would be the dividends or the CEO' salary. If you were to distribute the dividends you would find it would make hardly any difference to the wages and it would trash the value of the shares of the company so making it unable to raise capital on the stock market. As for the CEO's salary it would also make no difference if he took a 10% pay cut and you distributed it to thousands of people.

There is a direct correlation between profitability and wages. The more profitable a company is the higher the wages are, eg banks and oil companies pay generous salaries, supermarkets pay paltry wages.

In the end a worker producing a BMW will put in the same hours as a worker producing a Vauxhall Corsa, but earn more, because the customer pays more for what he's produced, i.e. "productivity".

Any redistribution has to be done through the tax system.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 9th August 2017 at 16:36.
    I'm alright Jack