Mobile phone for kids - do on own or part of a deal Mobile phone for kids - do on own or part of a deal
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,765

    Default Mobile phone for kids - do on own or part of a deal

    DD1 is going to secondary school later this week. Was going to get her a mobile phone. Was wondering if most people who have phones for their kids do it as part of a family deal (ie. all on one network) or just get a separate one?

    Opinions?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  2. #2

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    DD1 is going to secondary school later this week. Was going to get her a mobile phone. Was wondering if most people who have phones for their kids do it as part of a family deal (ie. all on one network) or just get a separate one?

    Opinions?
    Whatever works out cheapest. Girls were on Vodafone as that got them a cheap iPhone 6, Mrs eek is on EE, I'm on 3 as I use a lot of data.

    Girls are moving to BT or three next week. Not sure what to do with Mrs Eek as she doesn't use much data but there is little incentive nowadays for everyone to be on the same network - that's not how things work when even your cheapest contract has 200 free minutes and unlimited texts....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,527

    Default

    I know you've never smashed a screen but giving kids phones with glass screens? Why would you do that?

    Kids got our hand me down Samsungs with a sim only contract to start off with. Just hunted around for the cheapest deal, which ended up being with a different network to ours. Worked OK for a while until peer pressure kicked in and they would only have the latest flagship ones
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I know you've never smashed a screen but giving kids phones with glass screens? Why would you do that?

    Kids got our hand me down Samsungs with a sim only contract to start off with. Just hunted around for the cheapest deal, which ended up being with a different network to ours. Worked OK for a while until peer pressure kicked in and they would only have the latest flagship ones
    Because they haven't broken theirs either.... Also it got them iphones which allows me to identify roughly where they are if I need to....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #5

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Tesco mobile with their insurance plan - had to claim twice for my elder daughter's phone. £25 a time and got a brand new / refurbished phone the next day.

    Covers loss, accidental damage, theft and calls.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #6

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    DD1 is going to secondary school later this week. Was going to get her a mobile phone. Was wondering if most people who have phones for their kids do it as part of a family deal (ie. all on one network) or just get a separate one?

    Opinions?
    Kids not quite old enough yet, but plan is for old phone already owned and no longer in use and then PAYG tesco mobile so they can't run up a massive bill.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  7. #7

    bored now

    eek is a fount of knowledge

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    22,779

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Tesco mobile with their insurance plan - had to claim twice for my elder daughter's phone. £25 a time and got a brand new / refurbished phone the next day.

    Covers loss, accidental damage, theft and calls.
    given the cost you are probably better off with a protect your bubble insurance policy.

    As for sim only contracts. Between the amazon gift cards and quidco cashback I suspect BT is going to be hard to beat if you have a bt landline... £16 a month for 20gb of data less £95 Amazon gift card + £60 from quidco if it works...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #8

    Super poster

    meridian - scorchio!

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,325

    Default

    Eldest got a Samsung J3 for his 11th, with 3 sim-only. £150 for the phone outright, £9 per month for all you can eat minutes and texts and 4gb data.

    Qustodio installed (and he knows it) so I can keep track of where he is and who texts him.

  9. #9

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Qustodio installed (and he knows it) so I can keep track of where he is and who texts him.
    Do kids still text these days? I'd have thought it was all SC / Viber / kik / WhatsApp rather than SMS
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    FiveTimes is NOT a disguised employee

    FiveTimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    19,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Do kids still text these days? I'd have thought it was all SC / Viber / kik / WhatsApp rather than SMS
    Its all snapchat which makes "policing" even harder as there is no way of seeing these snaps, the photos arent stored on the phone and can't be automagically uploaded to icloud for photo sharing

    I suppose its all about trust

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •