• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Consumer Borrowing is by far the largest in Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting; so despite consumer debt being right at the core of the issue and the level of borrowing in the UK being completely unsustainable, we still think it's the housing market overall that's going to be the catalyst for the next crash.

I wonder what Watson would predict if you fed it all of our economic data for 10 years prior to the last crash and then all the data between then and up until now... I wager it'd be very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      Interesting; so despite consumer debt being right at the core of the issue and the level of borrowing in the UK being completely unsustainable, we still think it's the housing market overall that's going to be the catalyst for the next crash.

I wonder what Watson would predict if you fed it all of our economic data for 10 years prior to the last crash and then all the data between then and up until now... I wager it'd be very interesting!
      If you think about it, houses have risen ridiculously in the last 2 decades, in parts of London more than 3 or 4 times their 1997 values, which were already ridiculously high relative to most of the UK. A flat I bought in 1997 for £120k would now be more than £450k, and even though I sold it for twice what I paid, I do sometimes wish I'd kept it! People who are sitting on a huge profit won't lose much sleep over a £30k credit card debt while their house is earning more than that each year. Any significant dip in house prices, and the whole picture changes.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        An even bigger culling of the BTL brigade than the current govt is attempting, causing many of them to sell up; again,
        More than ever people are now struggling to find a roof to put over their heads are the supply of let homes beings to dry up and the cost increases, there was a peace in about it in the Times recently.

The incompetence of government and its vacuous supporters knows no end. The attack on landlords has only resulted in some selling up, with the remaining few increasing their prices to absorb the extra costs placed on them.

Until the crash happens people remain dependent on BTL's -
        Last edited by scooterscot; 27 September 2017, 12:25.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          More than ever people are now struggling to find a roof to put over their heads are the supply of let homes beings to dry up and the cost increases, their was a peace in about it in the Times recently.

The incompetence of government and its vacuous supporters knows no end. The attack on landlords has only resulted in some selling up, with the remaining few increasing their prices to absorb the extra costs placed on them.

is that meant to be in english ????

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            Was this meant to be a question on grammar????
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              Don't bother, Scooty abandoned English (or Bastard English, as he calls it) long, long ago...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                More than ever people are now struggling to find a roof to put over their heads are the supply of let homes beings to dry up and the cost increases, there was a peace in about it in the Times recently.

Corbyn and his ilk baulk at taxpayer funds being paid to "profiteering" landlords by way of housing benefits, and he won't lose much sleep if a whole swathe go bankrupt. Instant house price correction and properties seized in lieu of debts to HMRC available to needy families. What's not to love?

Comment

and this is in the west country not in the smoke

Milan.
                  Last edited by milanbenes; 27 September 2017, 12:52.

Comment

to conclude I'd say the prices are sustainable

how hard is it to get a joint income of 70,000pounds these days ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                      to conclude I'd say the prices are sustainable

how hard is it to get a joint income of 70,000pounds these days ?

Milan.
                      As long as your missus can find a way to earn £60k, should be a breeze, Beansey...

Comment

Working...
                      X