More ripoffs More ripoffs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: More ripoffs

  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth - scorchio!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,139

    Default More ripoffs

    Parking fines, recycling, litter, the number of cowboy companies ripping people off for trivial things seems to grow every year. Another example here:

    Mother fined £600 after putting cardboard box in wrong bin*

    £600 for one box! In future I think I'll be checking very carefully I don't put an envelope with my tiny company's name on into my recycling bin.

    My son recently got sent a demand for £80 for not paying a parking fine, even though it was the first he'd heard of it. He'd parked at 10pm in what had been a free pub car park and neither he not his mates noticed the inconspicuous signs which were scarcely visible due to bright lights above. Fortunately, he won his case with the ombudsman as the signs were not just poorly placed but legally too low. Doubt it will stop them trying to rip others off.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30th January 2018 at 17:10.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Hobosapien - scorchio!

    Hobosapien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    LA - la la fantasy land
    Posts
    2,683

    Default

    Aye, in a rule based society they just keep on bringing out new rules.

    Maybe fines should only be levied for persistent offenders not first time offenders, but then the stealth tax revenue would suffer.

    No wonder fake identities are a thing these days. Looks like we all need one for a more peaceful life. That or all change our names to Spartacus by deed poll.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    woohoo is a fount of knowledge

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    I've just had one from the NHS. Penalty charge for not paying for a prescription of £100 + the original prescription amount.

    I pay yearly for a subscription thing, done this for years. So possible that there has been a mix up. Anyway, if there has been a mix up and its my fault then I would be happy to pay for the original prescription but a £100 penalty.

  4. #4

    Richer than sasguru

    DimPrawn is a fount of knowledge

    DimPrawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brexit Britain
    Posts
    34,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    I've just had one from the NHS. Penalty charge for not paying for a prescription of £100 + the original prescription amount.

    I pay yearly for a subscription thing, done this for years. So possible that there has been a mix up. Anyway, if there has been a mix up and its my fault then I would be happy to pay for the original prescription but a £100 penalty.
    Look like you just have to challenge the penalty.

    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/penalty-ch...enalty-charges
    I was miserable and depressed, but CUK turned it all around. Now I'm depressed and miserable.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    BoredBloke 's job has never been outsourced

    BoredBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    whereever the work is
    Posts
    7,167

    Default

    My wife has just had a parking ticket for parking at MRI when she went to she regular renal appointment. When she got to the car park, the machines were not working and the barriers were up. So she assumed (wrongly it seems) that she was allowed to just drive off. She said there didn't appear to be anybody around to pay/deal with parking issues
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

    I preferred version 1!

  6. #6

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Aye, in a rule based society they just keep on bringing out new rules. ..
    "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" ( "The more corrupt the state, the more profuse the laws" )

    -- Cornelius Tacitus
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  7. #7

    Super poster

    woohoo is a fount of knowledge

    woohoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In the country
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Look like you just have to challenge the penalty.

    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/penalty-ch...enalty-charges
    Yep in the process of doing this.

    Another, moan but a sign of the times is that the misses went to the hospital, she could only pay for a max of 2 hours, i think.

    Of course, the consultant wanted to do more tests, now she was in the hospital waiting for the consultant, she could not just walk out and pay for 2 hours more.

    So, then the misses gets a penalty of x pounds. She called the hospital and they then direct her to the company looking after the car park. Apparently, it's nothing to do with them.

    The car park company don't take phone calls, you have to write to them and yep you get the bog standard rejection letter.

    You can't reasonably do anything else. It's a tax as simple as that.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    Yep in the process of doing this.

    Another, moan but a sign of the times is that the misses went to the hospital, she could only pay for a max of 2 hours, i think.

    Of course, the consultant wanted to do more tests, now she was in the hospital waiting for the consultant, she could not just walk out and pay for 2 hours more.

    So, then the misses gets a penalty of x pounds. She called the hospital and they then direct her to the company looking after the car park. Apparently, it's nothing to do with them.

    The car park company don't take phone calls, you have to write to them and yep you get the bog standard rejection letter.

    You can't reasonably do anything else. It's a tax as simple as that.
    This is what your local MP / Councillor of whatever flavour is for!

    use em & abuse them.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    It's a tax as simple as that.
    Yep.

    Maybe when they put income tax up to 30% and enforce IR35 type rules on all PSCs then you can park (and speed) for free.
    See You Next Tuesday

  10. #10

    Godlike

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    7,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    "Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges" ( "The more corrupt the state, the more profuse the laws" )

    -- Cornelius Tacitus
    that's switzerland fecked then. you can't even wash your clothes on sundays - oh, and germany,
    regulations for everything
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •