• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    If you believe that drawing a line predicts the future, does this means everything is preordained in the chart? For example, if I draw a similar downward line at the far left of that chart, it would "predict" a market bottom than never happened.

Just think what it would mean if drawing a line from the past told you the future, it would mean the future cannot change.

It's just plain obviously idiotic to think the economies of the world and their markets work this way....
    A great question. A question I've asked myself from time to time. A question that's came up long before I became interested in charting what people were thinking. In the engineering world, deterministic predictions would often translate into actual timely events (based on Weibull analysis mostly amongst other Stochastic processes) - spooky - but soon I'd realise (as to your question) we, as humans, exchange all to easily reason for agnostic belief when we are unable to understand something. Much of my engineering predictions that lead to an event were the result of some human error years prior, rather than some spooky apparent convergence of lines that would seem to suggest effect proceeded cause. Then assumptions slip in to your reasoning... Assumptions are the mother of all @£$up's. I recall a CEO throwing work out the window when the suggestion of an assumption was used in the analysis, he was German.

Let's not make the assumption the line is a random placement. The line is not predicting the future, I am based on previous human behaviour. Knowing where to put the line is the reason why... never mind. Just as many believe price action is a random walk of price discovery, I know price action is really telling me what people are thinking. That's powerful... but takes some wrapping your head around. Best advice? Believe in yourself.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 8 April 2020, 12:10.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      A great question. A question I've asked myself from time to time. A question that's came up long before I became interested in charting what people were thinking. In the engineering world, deterministic predictions would often translate into actual timely events (based on Weibull analysis mostly amongst other Stochastic processes) - spooky - but soon I'd realise (as to your question) we, as humans, exchange all to easily reason for agnostic belief when we are unable to understand something. Much of my engineering predictions that lead to an event were the result of some human error years prior, rather than some spooky apparent convergence of lines that would seem to suggest effect proceeded cause. Then assumptions slip in to your reasoning... Assumptions are the mother of all @£$up's. I recall a CEO throwing work out the window when the suggestion of an assumption was used in the analysis, he was German.

Let's not make the assumption the line is a random placement. The line is not predicting the future, I am based on previous human behaviour. Knowing where to put the line is the reason why... never mind. Just as many believe price action is a random walk of price discovery, I know price action is really telling me what people are thinking. That's powerful... but takes some rapping your head around. Best advice? Believe in yourself.
      So, you are just a poor quality droid, then
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

rapping your head around
        You're certainly a Notorious T.W.A.T.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          He has obviously never worked for a trading firm or investment bank, and saw the teams of analysts, market data, decision support, embedded IT, front office, back office and traders all trying to figure how to make money. Why don't they draw some straight lines, place the trades and then go home and get rich.
          Most of them haven't got a clue. Investment houses spend millions every year on prediction tools, prediction info. It's a huge industry in of itself. Indeed they've huge accounts to manage - it is not so straight forward.. Even Bridgewater, who I have huge respect fur, of recent managed to lose tens of millions.

Ray Dalio caught wrongfooted with big losses at Bridgewater fund

Hedge Funds Plan to Pour MoreMoney Into Alternative Data

Analytics in banking: Time to realize the value | McKinsey
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Most of them haven't got a clue. Investment houses spend millions every year on prediction tools, prediction info. It's a huge industry in of itself. Indeed they've huge accounts to manage - it is not so straight forward.. Even Bridgewater, who I have huge respect fur, of recent managed to lose tens of millions.

Ray Dalio caught wrongfooted with big losses at Bridgewater fund

Hedge Funds Plan to Pour MoreMoney Into Alternative Data

Analytics in banking: Time to realize the value | McKinsey
            Remember during the gold rush to America only the spade manufactures made a lot of money.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Let's not make the assumption the line is a random placement. The line is not predicting the future, I am based on previous human behaviour. Knowing where to put the line is the reason why... never mind. Just as many believe price action is a random walk of price discovery, I know price action is really telling me what people are thinking. That's powerful... but takes some wrapping your head around. Best advice? Believe in yourself.
              Lots of words, but you're basically admitting that its not the chart that's telling anyone anything - its your reading of the chart, your interpretation, weighted by your own inherent expectations, wants and prejudices (we all have them) on where you want the market to go. That is telling you where to put the line.

You're then trying to convince others that the chart is telling a story based on history occurrences, whereas its just telling your story based what you think will happen.

I also think a little part of you hopes that repeatedly posting bearish statements here might move the market a little bit, but I'm sure we all realise how futile that is.
              Last edited by Paralytic; 8 April 2020, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Lots of words, but you're basically admitting that its not the chart that's telling anyone anything - its your reading of the chart, your interpretation, weighted by your own inherent expectations, wants and prejudices (we all have them) on where you want the market to go. That is telling you where to put the line.

You're then trying to convince others that the chart is telling a story based on history occurrences, whereas its just telling your story based what you think will happen.

I also think a little part of you hopes that repeatedly posting bearish statements here might move the market a little bit, but I'm sure we all realise how futile that is
                Absolutely not trying to convince anyone, they are just opinions. There's no gain in for me, other than to share my thoughts - take it or leave it.

My emotions never once play a part in reading the chart, bearish or bullish. It has taken me time to practice for sure. When reading a chart you must be scientific, 99% is support & resistance. If you're finding yourself drawing lines for the outcome you want you may as well take your money to Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  I also think a little part of you hopes that repeatedly posting bearish statements here might move the market a little bit, but I'm sure we all realise how futile that is.
                  Emotion - a money killer, make no mistake. 'New paradigm', 'Buy the dip' - heard it a million times until the bulls capitulate.

There's a depression coming, one would be wise to protect their purchasing power before deflation in the years ahead really takes hold.

Coronavirus: 'Drop in global trade to be worse than 2008 crisis'

Comment

When reading a chart you must be scientific
                    All fairy stories have a rubric, scootie, but fairy stories are not science.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      All fairy stories have a rubric, scootie, but fairy stories are not science.
                      For example?

Comment

Working...
                      X