• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

stock market crash

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Bearing in mind the growth in nearly all stocks from the initial dip I'd say 20% is pretty crap TBH. And bearing it's been pretty difficult to make less than 20% it's hardly a flag to be waving.
    Pooper never loses, remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Or... Centrica up 20% since taking a position!!
      Where do you get 20% from anyway? You posted your purchase at 35.53p here
      https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...crash-114.html

It's now at 40.40. Isn't that like 13%?

If you'd bought Amazon you'd be up 40%..

EDIT : I also thought we were talking about a lot of money here as well. I didn't realise you were trading less than 11k total. What a waste of time.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you'd bought Amazon you'd be up 40%..

EDIT : I also thought we were talking about a lot of money here as well. I didn't realise you were trading less than 11k total. What a waste of time.
        Or Tesla and you'd be up 10,000,000%

Comment

Bearing in mind the growth in nearly all stocks from the initial dip I'd say 20% is pretty crap TBH. And bearing it's been pretty difficult to make less than 20% it's hardly a flag to be waving.

Really? Let's test your theory. Your reputation hangs in the balance.... 20% is pretty crap, could be achieved from nearly all FTSE 100 stocks since my CNA investment, he says.

Starting with the largest volume traded.

Lloyds banking group.. nadda same 0% - not a good start NL.

BP - down 12% - not looking good NL

Vodafone +10% - he's saved! All markets, but wait that's not 20%...

ITV -15%

But you said you could have made 20% anywhere in the market. Are you telling porkies?

Tesco - everyone needs shopping, that must be why we're down 10%

HSBC -13%

You should get a job with the Daily Wail, you'd fit right in.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Pooper never loses, remember that.

Like the captain, scooter does not believe in the no win scenario.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Ooh, FTSE up 20% since I took my position. (well, I have funds across multiple markets but my 6 figures have gone up 20%)

So, what you're saying is, a major stock on the FTSE is tracking the overall market (and vice-versa). You've bet on this single stock doubling in value, and yet at the same time betting that the market that this single stock has an influence on will drop like a brick.

Do you see where your logic is flawed? The chances of Centrica going up 100% whilst at the same time the FTSE dropping through the floor are low to zero purely because Centrica is part of the FTSE.

You need more graphs

In English... oder Deutsch, was ist einfacher für dich?

Comment

I always cost average in to a position - never time the market, that's what the retail folks do.

My weighted average price in is around 33, or 22% away from current prices.

Comment

Really? Let's test your theory. Your reputation hangs in the balance.... 20% is pretty crap, could be achieved from nearly all FTSE 100 stocks since my CNA investment, he says.
                  Alright I'll give you that one. I'm mainly into the tech stocks since the dip so completely different view. Reputation hangs in the balance though.. LOL really. I don't profess to having any rep in this game at all... although I'm very happy with my 64% gain in Paypal over the same period of your trade. Not going to big it up as I have lost enough in the past not to claim to be anything in this game like you do.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Like the captain, scooter does not believe in the no win scenario.

What a guy!

Comment

You'd have made just as much by sticking it in tracker funds. I have. My wife is up 24% We do this without a single graph
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X