• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Misuse of the word "refute" really tits me off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate it when people repeat words. Someone I know is always saying things like "really, really..." or even "really, really, really..."
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      I hate it when people repeat words. Someone I know is always saying things like "really, really..." or even "really, really, really..."
      Does he/she like blinking?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/refute

See 1.2

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          "Traditionalists object to this newer use as an unacceptable degradation of the language, but it is widely encountered"

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            "Traditionalists object to this newer use as an unacceptable degradation of the language, but it is widely encountered"
            The traditionalists, one notes, are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
              When it comes to understanding the English language, traditionalists are typically insecure and poorly educated fools.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                Indeed. The fact that the OED reports incorrect usage is merely a consequence of their mission being descriptive rather than prescriptive. It doesn't stop the wrong 'uns who misuse the word being wrong

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Indeed. The fact that the OED reports incorrect usage is merely a consequence of their mission being descriptive rather than prescriptive. It doesn't stop the wrong 'uns who misuse the word being wrong
                  Prescriptive lexicography and grammar don't really work well in English. They often seek to apply rules that not only deny the changing nature of the English language, but also ignore historic usage.

The 'fewer' vs 'less' argument in a case in point. Apparently 'less' should not be used with plural countable nouns. However, such usage of 'less' can be documented back as far as the scholarly Alfred the Great in 888.

"Swa mid læs worda swa mid ma, swæðer we hit yereccan mayon."

"With less words or with more, whether we may prove it."

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    When it comes to understanding the English language, traditionalists are typically insecure and poorly educated fools.
                    Bit judgemental that. For a brasser.

Comment

******* grammar and word hitlers.

Comment

Working...
                      X