• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gender Binarism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCIoAw5Z_pY

An interesting discussion about this.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      The thing is there are very few people who are not either male or female - in that they are born with male reproductive organs or female reproductive organs - neuter/hermaphrodite or intersex as they are collectively known are very very rare.
      By "very very rare" I presume you're thinking of proportions of the order of a million to one or less.

But when you take account of all the many chromosome abnormalities and various genetic deficiencies giving rise to gender ambiguity or intersex conditions, most are not nearly as rare as you might think :

How common is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        By "very very rare" I presume you're thinking of proportions of the order of a million to one or less.

But when you take account of all the many chromosome abnormalities and various genetic deficiencies giving rise to gender ambiguity or intersex conditions, most are not nearly as rare as you might think :

How common is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America
        Many of those conditions are medically treatable, lead only to fertility issues or have minor bearing on adult behaviour. This is just more politicising biology, getting government to interfere in people's private lives.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I'm feeling quite smug because I usually make gender a lookup table when programming. People laughed at me, saying there is only "male" and "female", but now look.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post

Aha! It's an AI plot!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A lot of this might be remedied by most people not insisting on asking your gender in every single form. It has medical relevance but medical forms should let you list your physical and mental disorders already, it's not necessarily that critical an employer knows your gender when receiving your CV although your name is usually a good indicator.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                If you have other on official forms etc would this not cause issues for example medical forms, treatment etc.
                On a medical form if you are intersex etc then you simply say, but what difference does it make to one of my credit card companies to know I'm female?

None as the 99% my transactions are done electronically using the account number.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  A lot of this might be remedied by most people not insisting on asking your gender in every single form. It has medical relevance but medical forms should let you list your physical and mental disorders already, it's not necessarily that critical an employer knows your gender when receiving your CV although your name is usually a good indicator.
                  I remember some old codger in the early 1980s handing me a job application to fill in, with a pen, and one of the items on the form was "Christian Name"

Ah innocent days!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    Many of those conditions are medically treatable, lead only to fertility issues or have minor bearing on adult behaviour. This is just more politicising biology, getting government to interfere in people's private lives.
                    Is it political correctness gone mad?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Is it political correctness gone mad?
                      Political correctness is mad, always has been. There's no going or gone about it. Nothing more than newspeak. ++good.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X