• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

POLAND, how is it getting rich?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    No worries you have as good an understanding of economics as Mr Trump.

Evasion.....

Do you think the EU provides inaccurate figures through their Europa.eu portal?
    Originally posted by Old Greg
    I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
    ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Evasion.....

Do you think the EU provides inaccurate figures through their Europa.eu portal?
      no
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        no
        Excellent, so the figures TGB posted are correct and accepted by yourself.
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Please note that this is an Indian cultural thing, nothing racist,
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Once they were free of the USSR it was inevitable that some Eastern European countries, like Poland and Hungary, would eventually go on to become major economies. Bright people with no social major issues. Can't see it happening soon in some others though like Albania, Serbia or Romania.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Once they were free of the USSR it was inevitable that some Eastern European countries, like Poland and Hungary, would eventually go on to become major economies. Bright people with no social major issues. Can't see it happening soon in some others though like Albania, Serbia or Romania.
              Oh I don't know, they seem to be pretty good at exporting criminals to the rest of Europe.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The Romanian economy has quadrupled in size since joining the EU.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I've decided to do some fact checking.

We have 7,376,965 families in the UK receiving child benefit. Of those, 20,085 are foreign and not known. That's 0.27%
                  Those 7,376,965 families are claiming based on 12,847,100 children. Of those, 31,940 are foreign and not known. That's 0.25%

Since the recipients are foreign and not known, then there is no evidence to assume that they are all Polish.
                  Based on the ONS figures, 16% of foreign nationals living in the UK are Polish.

So of the 7,376,965 families, one could interpolate that 3,214 of them are Polish (0.04% of the total)
                  In terms of children, the interpolation would be 5,110 that are Polish (0.04% of the total)

Of the £11.6 billion spent on Child Benefit in the UK, the above figures would point to £4.64 million per year going to Polish nationals in total. A smidgen less than the £57.1 million being bandied about earlier in this thread.

Let's go for an exchange rate of $1.3 to £1, that makes Poland's GDP in 2017 as £403.47 billion.
                  If we keep the daily wailers happy on here and say that every single Polish national claiming child benefit is sending it back to Poland, that means, wait for it...
                  Child Benefits from the UK would account for 0.0012% of the Polish GDP.

If, instead of the daily wailers opinion, we chose, say 10% of the Poles were sending the money back, then the figure would be 0.00012%

There's an idea of the "unquantifiable" figure mentioned earlier
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Damn this investment lark and getting returns back on it...

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uplo...-Iain-Begg.pdf

... each year since 2000 the UK has paid well below the EU average.
                    ...since 1973, the UK has always paid less than Germany, which would be expected since Germany is a larger economy. However, since the rebate was introduced in 1985, the UK has also consistently paid less than France – a similar sized economy – usually by quite a large margin. Moreover, despite the stagnation of the Italian economy since the 1990s, Italy has more often than not paid more into the EU budget than the UK, especially since 2000.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Damn this investment lark and getting returns back on it...

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uplo...-Iain-Begg.pdf
                      Paid less, because we get less back: The EU budget at a glance

Official EU source again.

Another fact is the UK rebate exists for very good reasons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_rebate

Comment

Working...
                      X