• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Medical Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Medical Insurance

Apologizes in advance if this is the wrong section of the forum. As I cannot see a relevant section.

Is it advisable to take out medical insurance if living outside the UK ?. I see myself in living in countries such as Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium or Croatia. If so can you please share any gotchas I need to be prepared for ?

Many thanks

Yes it's advisable. While an EHIC offers the same coverage as locals for emergency care and few other conditions. If locals are liable to pay, then you are. Treatment that is free in the UK may not be free in abroadland. Repatriation expenses are not covered.

If you become resident for tax purposes in another country, you are not entitled to care under EHIC nor under the NHS. You must take up the local health care system. You are not entitled to nip back to the UK for treatment.

If I need care in the UK on my visits, I tell them I'm not entitled to NHS care, and they must bill me or my insurance company.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Remember a news story a few years ago....

Young lady had gone to work in Egypt doing house riding lessons etc. Fell off and broke her back. Didn't have any insurance at all. Couldnt get decent treatment, couldn't come home etc.

The "story" was she'd had insurance and had "forgotten" to renew it.....
      Cue just giving page/appeals etc. Family telling everyone it would cost x amount to bring her home etc.

In the end, sure it turned out she was working illegally in the country had rocked up with standard tourist insurance to begin with and then thought sod it.

Must admit I thought it a but funny. No money from me thats for sure. Stupid people deserve all they get.

Never worked abroad but assume you do need "proper" health insurance even if you are working legally.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fishandchips View Post
        Apologizes in advance if this is the wrong section of the forum. As I cannot see a relevant section.

Is it advisable to take out medical insurance if living outside the UK ?. I see myself in living in countries such as Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium or Croatia. If so can you please share any gotchas I need to be prepared for ?

Many thanks
        You’ll need to figure out where you are going to live, how long for, and what you will be doing there. Different countries have different rules on mandatory health insurance for both locals and immigrants depending on whether you are a tourist, worker, retiree, etc.

Comment

Recommend TK if you're in Germany, although public it's private by UK standards. Now you can pay more and go private, but if you're young fit and healthy, I'd spend the money on beer instead.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

You need to take out medical insurance in the country you decide to live in, it is compulsory. If you have a permanent job it will be automatically arranged by your employer.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Remember a news story a few years ago....

Young lady had gone to work in Egypt doing house riding lessons etc. Fell off and broke her back. Didn't have any insurance at all. Couldnt get decent treatment, couldn't come home etc.

The "story" was she'd had insurance and had "forgotten" to renew it.....
              Cue just giving page/appeals etc. Family telling everyone it would cost x amount to bring her home etc.

In the end, sure it turned out she was working illegally in the country had rocked up with standard tourist insurance to begin with and then thought sod it.

Must admit I thought it a but funny. No money from me thats for sure. Stupid people deserve all they get.

Never worked abroad but assume you do need "proper" health insurance even if you are working legally.
              So she was a roofer?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                So she was a roofer?
                No - fell off a horse
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  So she was a roofer?
                  2nd time out of 2 stories about stupid people he's made a glaring error in his post. Go figure.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Yes it's advisable. While an EHIC offers the same coverage as locals for emergency care and few other conditions. If locals are liable to pay, then you are. Treatment that is free in the UK may not be free in abroadland. Repatriation expenses are not covered.

If you become resident for tax purposes in another country, you are not entitled to care under EHIC nor under the NHS. You must take up the local health care system. You are not entitled to nip back to the UK for treatment.

If I need care in the UK on my visits, I tell them I'm not entitled to NHS care, and they must bill me or my insurance company.
                    In my experience, they merely check whether you are registered with a local doctor. I doubt they have any way of verifying your tax status, and even if they did I doubt they have either the time or the inclination to do that. And most hospitals don't seem to have grasped the concept of billing "foreigners", let alone have a process for actually doing it.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X