• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Panasonic Plasma problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I thought "8475" was a model number, but it turns out that's the price!

Looks excellent though I must say.
    In funny money not good English Pounds though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Buy one of these for you living room.
      Why not get a decent one?
      CANON XEED 4K501ST PROJECTOR
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The 2 cheap but decent options are Amazon fire stick and Chrome cast for about £30, or their big brothers with better CPUs and 4K support - Amazon fire TV and Chromecast ultra for £70ish (Amazon is launching refreshed Fire stick with 4K support in about a month so you might want to hold off). The Amazon offerings have proper remote and are self sufficient with ability to install various Android apps (you don't have to use the dedicated remote, most TVs will allow you to navigate the menu with the TV remote once you switch the input to the relevant HDMI port). The Google Chromecast require another device like phone or tablet or PC to "control" them by casting the commands/content to it. Both are much better future-proof, than your average smart TV that stops getting updates and kills apps after 2-3 years.

The 2 more expensive options are Apple TV and NVIDIA Shield running "proper" Android TV OS. Both cost £150ish and offer much more in terms of applications, with the NVIDIA Shield being semi-game console with quite the specs and ability to stream games from an NVIDIA GPU equipped PC.

The Amazon stuff works on the mainland and doesn't require Prime sub. Practically unbeatable for it's price, especially when the refresh of the stick comes out.

Most of the cheap boxes running Android require a lot of faffing about, you might as well build your won with a Raspberry Pi etc.

Disclaimer: I currently own and use all of the above, excluding the Chromecast that was promptly handed down to my father, as I detest the need to use additional device to control it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Got mine pre-loaded with various apps so not had to do anything but let the apps update when asked. Not sure if that has been clamped down upon by the likes of Amazon.

Have a Firestick too but the interface is so frustrating, having to scroll around and search without a keyboard, that I rarely use it now most content is available via streaming on the Android box, albeit not always at the better quality. I don't have the newer voice controlled one.

we use the voice remote. It was £25 on prime day. Its easy as anything and great fun. My pre schooler loves shouting at it.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'd be quite happy without any smart features in the TV itself and just focus on picture quality, not bothered by the sound as this is all external. Decided a while ago to keep the smart things outside the TV so they can be changed as tech changes.

Anyway, anyone have any experience of this Roku.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              I'd be quite happy without any smart features in the TV itself and just focus on picture quality, not bothered by the sound as this is all external. Decided a while ago to keep the smart things outside the TV so they can be changed as tech changes.

Anyway, anyone have any experience of this Roku.
              The problem is there are no decent non-smart TVs and no 4K from a major manufacturer at least. So you are forced to eat the "smart" and free to ignore it later.

I know because I was looking for a new bedroom TV around 40" last month. There were 2 1080p options one Sony and one Panasonic, the Sony was better but around £400 mark, the Panasonic was around £300, ended up with 50" Philips 4k HDR smart for £400. The "smart" bit is OKish, but the lack of Plex is a deal-breaker for me, so waiting on the refreshed Fire stick that will support 4K as a final solution.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                umm, is that price in CHF ?

if yes, I guess the fact I need to ask means I cannot afford it

Milan.
                CHF is less then EUR and GBP. I thought you worked in SAP...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

nah you misheard him he is a SAP.

anyway after discounting in SAP its probably 50p.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

yes but we don't want to upset the local peasants do we

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                      The 2 cheap but decent options are Amazon fire stick and Chrome cast for about £30, or their big brothers with better CPUs and 4K support - Amazon fire TV and Chromecast ultra for £70ish (Amazon is launching refreshed Fire stick with 4K support in about a month so you might want to hold off). The Amazon offerings have proper remote and are self sufficient with ability to install various Android apps (you don't have to use the dedicated remote, most TVs will allow you to navigate the menu with the TV remote once you switch the input to the relevant HDMI port). The Google Chromecast require another device like phone or tablet or PC to "control" them by casting the commands/content to it. Both are much better future-proof, than your average smart TV that stops getting updates and kills apps after 2-3 years.

The 2 more expensive options are Apple TV and NVIDIA Shield running "proper" Android TV OS. Both cost £150ish and offer much more in terms of applications, with the NVIDIA Shield being semi-game console with quite the specs and ability to stream games from an NVIDIA GPU equipped PC.

The Amazon stuff works on the mainland and doesn't require Prime sub. Practically unbeatable for it's price, especially when the refresh of the stick comes out.

Most of the cheap boxes running Android require a lot of faffing about, you might as well build your won with a Raspberry Pi etc.

Disclaimer: I currently own and use all of the above, excluding the Chromecast that was promptly handed down to my father, as I detest the need to use additional device to control it.

thanks Sal.

I'll have a look at Apple TV.

Most importantly I don't want anything that needs a subscription

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X