Technical Interview Technical Interview
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,017

    Default Technical Interview

    Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

    I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.

    Seems to be the new norm, in which case studying up on deliberately arcane interview questions is a must for survival.

    Anyone else had this?

    Flame away, you can't make me feel worse.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  2. #2

    Seriously Banned

    Troll is NOT a disguised employee

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

    I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.
    Need examples of the 20% to gauge whether it's you or them, please be reverting
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  3. #3

    Double Godlike!

    original PM is a fount of knowledge

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    12,186

    Default

    Pointless middle management tw@ trying to be superior by eating a text book and then asking obscure questions.

    best option is to walk away you will not want to work for them anyway.

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding

    tazdevil has more data than eek

    tazdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Esoteric technical questions are usually asked by the technically illiterate because they have no other way of judging ability. They should investigate approach and attitude rather than concentrate on banal knowledge which is easy to access via t'Internet. Being able to parrot the merits of Lambda expressions for example doesn't mean a person is able to use such things intelligently. What you've done and achieved is the best judge of suitability

  5. #5

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Flame away, you can't make me feel worse.
    Aha! A challenge.

    I used to ask some very obscure questions when interviewing - mainly to see whether the candidate would waffle or simply admit not knowing the answer. This was especially important when we were screening InfoSys employees.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

  6. #6

    Should post faster

    BlackCountryContractor is a permanent contractor

    BlackCountryContractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Well it's pretty obvious
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Second one I've had where it's an endless barrage of esoteric technical questions, the likes of which I honestly don't believe anyone I have ever worked with or anyone in my network would be able to answer.

    I got around 80% of them right but the remaining 20% were in serious wft territory.

    Seems to be the new norm, in which case studying up on deliberately arcane interview questions is a must for survival.

    Anyone else had this?

    Flame away, you can't make me feel worse.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    I've had as a IT trainer, these esoteric technical questions pop up during the tech interviews. I very carefully inquire why as to the nature of the questions asked and I've found 9/10 that they want besides a set piece project of training people, another person covering elements which weren't included within the original job spec for the project.

    I very flatly refuse trying to learn by rote questions which might be asked simply to appease the interviewers, I will know when I apply for a job I have the skills demanded for the project. It will always be Christmas wish list syndrome when it comes down to tech interviews, unless they have a very good reason to ask the question then frankly not worth my time as the interview is not so much about myself but also about the people interviewing you and they can't give justified reason as to why they asked you the question then you can get a clear picture of the people you will be dealing with.

  7. #7

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Need examples of the 20% to gauge whether it's you or them, please be reverting
    Why does C# not support multiple inheritance?

    In SOLID principles, what is meant by the Liskov Substitution principal?



    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  8. #8

    Godlike

    jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Why does C# not support multiple inheritance?

    In SOLID principles, what is meant by the Liskov Substitution principal?
    FFS, I'm not a code monkey, and even I know the answer to the latter. I could probably guess the former too.

  9. #9

    Potty-trained

    suityou01 is NOT a disguised employee

    suityou01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Skid row
    Posts
    21,017

    Default

    Does this mean I am a bad developer and shouldn't be hired?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    FFS, I'm not a code monkey, and even I know the answer to the latter. I could probably guess the former too.
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

  10. #10

    Godlike

    jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suityou01 View Post
    Does this mean I am a bad developer and shouldn't be hired?

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    No, I suppose it's possible to be a good developer without being aware of the theory, but I would venture that there are more bad developers in the latter category.

    Plus we know your history.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •