• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which one of you is this? Times report on private sector IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    So why are we getting the money we're getting at the moment? Shouldn't we all be on £150 a day?
    Because for the clients it is quick, relative no hassle way of taking on more people to projects. One that quick, no hassle aspect is leaned upon by HMRC, watch clients drop contractors like hot potatoes.

Comment

So why are we getting the money we're getting at the moment? Shouldn't we all be on £150 a day?
      The day rate for someone in my line of work can fluctuate by more than £300 a day. Although the one's at the top probably get loads more applicants, both jobs eventually get filled as someone will usually be willing to do the work. When 95% of jobs are deemed inside IR35 there will nowhere left to run to, you'll either have to leave contracting or more than likely except an inside job. Sure some companies may up the rate to compensate or try to make arrangements to stay outside IR35, those are the jobs which will receive about 1000 applicants the moment they go on job sites, do you feel lucky?

Even with the increased tax rate there will be many who will take it on the chin as they will probably still be better off financially then permanent staff. Someone on an average £400 a day earns the equivalent of £72k under IR35 which is still a lot more than the average for permie staff. I predict a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth and some will jump ship but most will just bend over and take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Guvernator View Post
        The day rate for someone in my line of work can fluctuate by more than £300 a day. Although the one's at the top probably get loads more applicants, both jobs eventually get filled as someone will usually be willing to do the work. When 95% of jobs are deemed inside IR35 there will nowhere left to run to, you'll either have to leave contracting or more than likely except an inside job. Sure some companies may up the rate to compensate or try to make arrangements to stay outside IR35, those are the jobs which will receive about 1000 applicants the moment they go on job sites, do you feel lucky?

Even with the increased tax rate there will be many who will take it on the chin as they will probably still be better off financially then permanent staff. Someone on an average £400 a day earns the equivalent of £72k under IR35 which is still a lot more than the average for permie staff. I predict a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth and some will jump ship but most will just bend over and take it.
        spot on
        anyone who thinks that rates will rise in private sector is delusional

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          spot on
          anyone who thinks that rates will rise in private sector is delusional
          Quite a few people said that about the Public Sector back in the day and they were wrong.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Eh, I'm not convinced. I've been to quite a few places recently that have learnt some hard and expensive lessons about what cheap foreign resource gets you.
            I was discussing this with client permies. The fact is, you can have 50 morons and they still won't be able to solve the issues that one reasonably intelligent person can deal with in an hour, no matter how long they try.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Quite a few people said that about the Public Sector back in the day and they were wrong.
              public sector has bottomless pit of money. Private sector would rather offshore more or hire permies rather than spend 50% more on contractors and if they decide to hire contractors they will hire 2 contractors instead of 3 , so the number of contractor vacancies will fall.
              Also someone living away from home for a contract will make less money than working on a permanent job locally. So financially contracting will not make sense any more

Comment

Piffle. You haven't a clue what's going to happen.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I was discussing this with client permies. The fact is, you can have 50 morons and they still won't be able to solve the issues that one reasonably intelligent person can deal with in an hour, no matter how long they try.
                  I know that, you know that but British management? It will be a long wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Guvernator View Post
                    I predict a lot of wailing and nashing of teeth and some will jump ship but most will just bend over and take it.

It's the loss of travel and subsistence which is the real killer for me. It just won't be worth it anymore unless I relocate.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                      It's the loss of travel and subsistence which is the real killer for me. It just won't be worth it anymore unless I relocate.
                      That's not going to work on a contract by contract basis though, is it?

The writing is on the wall, it was good while it lasted.
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X