• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share restructure. Alphabet shares for better divi distribution.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    It’s not as far-fetched as it sounds.

The company will need to pay full tax on pre-dividend income anyway. Any saving will come from splitting the dividends sufficiently so that OP and his beneficiary (say, Dad) are both under the higher rate tax threshold.

Dad will now need to furnish a self-assessment every year and include these dividends, so unless he does it himself that will be extra for the accountant. Plus he’s now brought himself to the attention of HMRC.

Any hint that the income is coming back from Dad to son will be taken as evasion and taxed in full plus penalties. So any future loan for, say, a deposit on a house will need to be drawn up legally as a loan (with interest, etc) to avoid any suggestion of impropriety.

Apart from having to now furnish a self assessment return, it looks like a winner for Dad.
    He doesn't necessarily have to file an SA. Depends how much we are talking.

And it might be a winner for dad but it won't be for the contractor.

How much could the settlements legislation S624 ITTOIA 2005 cost contractors?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      He doesn't necessarily have to file an SA. Depends how much we are talking.

And it might be a winner for dad but it won't be for the contractor.

How much could the settlements legislation S624 ITTOIA 2005 cost contractors?
      Of course. I’m simply saying that it’s not as clear cut as some posters seem to think it is.

From a link on the page you linked to above:

Contractor guide to splitting dividends

The spousal exemption confirm by the Arctic Systems case only applies to a non-fee-earning spouse or civil partner, and not a non-fee-earning partner, family member or friend.

Therefore to avoid being caught in the settlements legislation trap, it is recommended that the shareholding non-spouse becomes a director of the company and plays a significant role in the management of the company. In addition, the share allocation should reflect the work undertaken by the two parties; so this is likely to lead to splits like 60:40 or 70:30, rather than the traditional 50:50.

The shareholder and director who is not the main fee earner and not a spouse or civil partner should clearly have a role in the business to justify earning the dividends. This could be managing administration, so that the contractor is completely free to focus on fee earning, or doing some marketing. A partnership with one director earning fees and the other ensuring they are able to do so and being paid, say, 30% of the dividend is perfectly legitimate.

Typical support tasks for a non-fee-earner which is not a spouse include holding the company minute book, bookkeeping and managing the money, answering calls and correspondence, plus marketing, which might include searching for contract opportunities and running the company website.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Of course. I’m simply saying that it’s not as clear cut as some posters seem to think it is.

From a link on the page you linked to above:

Contractor guide to splitting dividends
        It's not clear cut. It's very complicated. That it makes it a bad idea. If it had little risk and was advisable then we'd all be doing it. The fact we don't speaks volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's not clear cut. It's very complicated. That it makes it a bad idea. If it had little risk and was advisable then we'd all be doing it. The fact we don't speaks volumes.
          It is risky, I admit.

Just wondering how can a family business survive, (not IT one) but the above explains it. And still....

Say you have a advertising company as a family business so it is you, spouse and 4 parents. Shares: 51%, 49% regulars and 1 x A,B,C, and D. Parents are not directors - could be subcontractors or on commission.

This is a creative business, so very hard to prove that anyone of the parents doesn't bring the majority of the income for any given project by coming up with the best advert idea.

Then paying them as much/little divi as their allowances can absorb. HMRC may argue but how can they prove any settlement in this case?

I appreciate the above is very specific case but if I think more I will come up with more like this.
          Last edited by pscont; 29 November 2018, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
            Say you have a advertising company as a family business so it is you, spouse and 4 parents. Shares: 51%, 49% regulars and 1 x A,B,C, and D. Parents are not directors - could be subcontractors or on commission.

This is a creative business, so very hard to prove that anyone of the parents doesn't bring the majority of the income for any given project by coming up with the best advert idea.

Then paying them as much/little divi as their allowances can absorb. HMRC may argue but how can they prove any settlement in this case?

I appreciate the above is very specific case but if I think more I will come up with more like this.

OK, rather than trying to come up with specific cases that you have imagined so that you can try to argue one way or another, maybe you should stick to the practical example of your current company, the type of business it does and what you are wanting to achieve.

Cause it sounds like all you are doing is dreaming up hypothetical scenarios to try to commit tax fraud.

In a previous hypothetical scenario of yours, you didn't have a wife or kids, but then the next thing was your parents were buying presents for your kids - maybe a mars bar, maybe a ferrari for their 18th, etc.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

For a "standard" contractor, the new IR35 regime where income is taxed at source by the agency would make most of this rather pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                For a "standard" contractor, the new IR35 regime where income is taxed at source by the agency would make most of this rather pointless.
                <mod snip> Mind your language </modsnip>

Comment

184?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I asked about this in accounting the other day, hadn't seen this one (why is it in general?)

If the OP wishes to read it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I asked about this in accounting the other day, hadn't seen this one (why is it in general?)

If the OP wishes to read it.
                      Because the OP is a cockwomble.

Instead of looking at a situation and investigating it he's just throwing ideas around to evade tax without putting any thought or research in to it. Have a look at his started thread history.

Comment

Working...
                      X