• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all IPSE Members

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Time out, children!

Whatever you think of IPSE, there is currently a lot of discussion going on about the manner in which the board are choosing to change aspects of its governance.

Now, a lot of members won't give a fudge about this as long as the insurance pays out when they need it to. However, we know that there are also a lot of members who do care about these things and we'd like to make sure they know what the changes could mean for future running of the organisation.

All we're trying to ensure is that all members are aware of an alternative point of view, and take the time to ask whatever questions they need to, of the board, before they vote.
    So what is your alternative...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sooo let's get this straight:
      If I want to vote I have to trawl their forums, posts, articles, hope I don't miss anything and make a decision based on aggregate info I find myself rather than a few bulletpoints for/against from both sides or a single For article and single Against article? Have IPSE been smoking meth?!

My sub is due in January. I won't be renewing. The organisation seems to be a glory contest for people who wish to flatter themselves rather than instigate true change. I also notice I receive a lot of emails - mostly marketing guff for junk offers - that have nothing to do with the core of what most members likely want which is a robust organisation to progress contractor (no, not deliveroo folk; sorry) interests and help inform the government and masses at large of just what we do, how we do it and why we do it.

The main issue I can see is the IPSE board want sweeping changes, partially hidden and not 100% explicit versus a CC who are rightly protesting but want the removal of members of the board. On both sides: why the iron fists? Calm down and negotiate properly.

Won't be paying any more fees. Both sides can get to **** as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
        why the iron fists? Calm down and negotiate properly.
        Because the board presented a done deal with NO possible negotiations

The unpaid volunteer elected by the membership CC tried its hardest to engage but were rejected at every avenue

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Because the board presented a done deal with NO possible negotiations

The unpaid volunteer elected by the membership CC tried its hardest to engage but were rejected at every avenue

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          The history is much more complex than that. We could (in fact, should) ask why the BoD weren't engaging with the CC, for example. We could also ask what are the options different to the proposal on the table that will effect a proper long term solution to whatever the problem actually is. And so on...

Were we really cynical we could ask why just over half the CC are fighting to retain a power they don't actually possess and why some CC have resigned.

The end result of all this is that nothing that IPSE does for its members is under any kind of threat, now or in the future. That seems to have got lost in the noise. In fact the only threat is the campaign to remove IPSE's chairman in protest, which will do far more harm politically than the governance changes under dispute, and will weaken their position with HMG significantly.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I would like to remind all posters that although this is General, there is still a modicum of moderation here.

No coming to blows please.
            Bah!

It was quite fun having the non IPSE posters standing round chanting "fight fight fight"....

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              will weaken their position with HMG significantly.
              It can get weaker?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                It can get weaker?
                It's far stronger than most believe, so yes, this is potentially damaging.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I agree with mal on this - IPSE do have more influence than is immediately apparent, and the governance stuff is a distraction that, fortunately for those of us who are members, won't stop the staff from doing their job.

At the end of the day c 90% of the members won't care about which way the AGM vote goes and it probably won't make an obvious difference, but for those of us who do care it's important that people do realise what it is that they're voting for.

Comment

yes, the force is strong with ipse wan

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                      Gosh IPSE sounds fun right now! Even worse than the Brexit firum?

I have a mind to join to access the forums...
                      +1

Comment

Working...
                      X