• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alt-Right Threat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Your last sentence is a bit sad. It's part of the whole thing of discrediting the opinion of someone else because you don't agree with it. I hate that kind of thing. If I was to argue against some of his opinions I would look at the religious take he has on things, some of the questions he poses about women and sexuality in the workplace.

I have no doubt that there are many men and women that find his book useful, it promotes personal responsibility and standing on your feet. It also seems to promote valuing yourself and what you have to offer the world. It's not really "a womans place is in the kitchen". I think as he said the fact that many men are coming up to him and thanking him for this advice is more of a sad indictment of our society.
    Perhaps that is it, it is a sad indictment on our society. Maybe I need to look at more of his work in detail rather than just reading where he gets referenced, and who uses him as a reference point/justification for their opinions.

As for his views on religion, I think there is a lot that individuals can learn from all religions, if they can approach each with an open mind, and study the books, not necessarily the preachers/teachers or those that claim to practice said religions.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You would learn more by reading Philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        You would learn more by reading Philosophy.
        A lot of philosophy has its roots in religious principles and concepts. It's worth forming your own understanding of both and seeing the similarities, rather than ruling things out because you believe you must.

Here's the first paragraph from the introduction to the Oxford Handbook of Work Philosophy:
        Philosophy—the aim, as Wilfrid Sellars puts it, “to understand how things, in the broadest sense of the term, hang together, in the broadest sense of that term”—has been a significant activity in many cultures for several millennia at least, even when we restrict that mode of understanding to something like rational, analytic understanding. It seems to be a natural development in all literate societies, and in many non-literate societies as well, to ask difficult questions about the fundamental nature of reality, about what it is to be human, about what constitutes a good life, about the nature of beauty, and about how we can know any of these things. Any reasonably impartial view that surveys the world’s cultures finds this kind of reasoned inquiry into who we are, our experience, and the nature of reality widely distributed. And not surprisingly, one finds both broad commonalities in the answers provided to these questions and important intercultural differences, commonalities and differences that are manifest in the following pages.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I always had it the other way around. Most modern religions are based on Greek or Indian philosophy, Christianity is an IndoEuropean religion.

Comment

Christianity is an Extra marital affair gone wrong
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              And are ISIS, etc not just other alt-right organisations?
              Teaching people to hate anyone different to them
              Teaching them to fear others.

What’s the difference?
              I love the irony of this ..... extremist views on both sides completely miss that their views and fanaticism are so similar and based on the same ideologies.

ISIS extremists and alt-right extremists are one and the same just under a different 'flag' - and they are both supported by idiots
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

You would learn more by reading Philosophy the Beano.
                Gratis.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  So the BBC's well written argument is the 'alt-right' are is using online resources so there is an terrifying increase in right wing activities?

Did you miss the videos of the bombers & Jihadi John on there? hell even Albanian gangsters are making recruiting videos. Nutters everywhere are using social media to promote their cause. If you look carefully you can probably find some pervert supporters like you.

Dam if your brains were tnt, smoke wouldn't even come out of your ears.
                  ha ha ..... losing the argument are you fella?

Feel free to point out where I support grooming gangs, Jimmy Saville or any other kiddie fiddler of any background

FYI I have as much respect for Islamic extremists as I do for Christian or Jewish extremists (or any other religion). I'm proudly atheist and see religion as a way to control the hard of thinking masses; unfortunately a minority of these masses turn to extremism in the name of their religion and the misguided belief that this is what their 'god' would want. All religions have these nutters.

Go on, have another go at insulting me .... see how well you do next time
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Feel free to point out where I support grooming gangs, Jimmy Saville or any other kiddie fiddler of any background

FYI I have as much respect for Islamic extremists as I do for Christian or Jewish extremists (or any other religion). I'm proudly atheist and see religion as a way to control the hard of thinking masses; unfortunately a minority of these masses turn to extremism in the name of their religion and the misguided belief that this is what their 'god' would want. All religions have these nutters.

Hard of thinking?

A lot of people in your wife's and your position take a lot of comfort from religion, the reason being, they have nothing else.

Who the **** are you to deride this?

You're a ****.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Nope, you accuse me of racism and being 'Alt-Right' when the Beeb, Guardian & Quilliam foundation have the same opinion as me, one does rather wonder where your opinion is coming from and why you are trying desperately to defend them, do please explain why you aren't supporting perverts or the Alt Pervert moniker sticks.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X